version 9 vs infinity

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Linda_Kay

version 9 vs infinity

Post by Linda_Kay » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:50 am

We are checking to see if we can upgrade to Infinity. We currently have systems existing on the clients^ machines that will use the OCX from version 9. We will have another system on the machine that will use the OCX from Infinity. Can these 2 OCX^s peacefully co-habit on the same system?

kfleming

=> RE: version 9 vs infinity

Post by kfleming » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:38 am

Should not be a problem.____Kathleen__R&R Support

RolandQuoma

==> RE: version 9 vs infinity

Post by RolandQuoma » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:05 pm

>Should not be a problem. __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support ____Kathleen - I work with Linda Kay. Can you explain how we can have the R&R 9 RRW32.OCX and RRRPT32.DLL running on the same computer with the same files from R&R Infinity?____Thanks.

kfleming

===> RE: version 9 vs infinity

Post by kfleming » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:45 am

You can put the ocx/dll in the same folder as rrwrun.exe.__That way you have two separate versions on the same machine.____Kathleen__R&R Support

RolandQuoma

====> RE: version 9 vs infinity

Post by RolandQuoma » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:25 pm

>You can put the ocx/dll in the same folder as rrwrun.exe. __>That way you have two separate versions on the same machine. __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support ____Kathleen - I have tried this and it will NOT work. The OCX must be registered and you can not register an OCX with the same name located in two different folders. ____I use the Custom Control method of accessing R&R from my VFP 9.0 form. If the OCX is not registered, my VFP form will give an error "Class not registered".____Of course, time is not our friend here. We are releasing a new version of our software within the next 2 weeks and we need to know if we can use R&R Infinity in our new version or if we will have to stay forever with R&R 9 so we can support our older versions (which are still required).____Thanks in advance for you prompt reply.__Debra

kfleming

=====> RE: version 9 vs infinity

Post by kfleming » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:52 pm

Help me out then to understand why you need to have both V9 and V12 on the same machine. What happens if only v12 is present? The newer OCX should still work with the older RRWRUN.EXE.____Kathleen__R&R Support

kfleming

======> RE: version 9 vs infinity

Post by kfleming » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:05 pm

And on second thought, the older app could also use the newest RRWRUN.EXE.____Kathleen__R&R Support

RolandQuoma

======> RE: version 9 vs infinity

Post by RolandQuoma » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:42 am

>Help me out then to understand why you need to have both V9 __>and V12 on the same machine. What happens if only v12 is __>present? The newer OCX should still work with the older __>RRWRUN.EXE. __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support ____When the v12 RRW32.OCX and RRRPT32.DLL are installed in the WindowsSystem32 folder and I run the old version of the VFP application (with the v9 custom control), I get the error: "Class not registered" when I try to load the VFP form to select a report to print. I assume that the ActiveX Custom Control that is dropped on my VFP form expects the v9 RRW32.OCX to be registered. ____I currently have three older VFP applications running on the client^s (350 ) computer all using the v9 RRW32.OCX / v9 ActiveX Custom Control. I wanted to use v12 on a new VFP application. It is not an option to rebuild/redistribute the three older VFP applications using v12.____My company recently purchased 10 copies of R&R v12 which looks to be unusable at this point. I know that my boss has already inquired about returning the 10 copies. I really hope that we can resolve this issue. I hate to think that we will have to stay with v9 for future versions of our software.____Thanks.__Debra

kfleming

=======> RE: version 9 vs infinity

Post by kfleming » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:28 am

The V12 OCX/runtime DLL is really not that different from the V9 version. The meat of what is different is in the runtime executable itself. So could you distribute the newer RRWRUN.EXE with the older OCX/DLL so that the application can take advantage of the new runtime executable but still use the older OCX?____Kathleen__R&R Support

RolandQuoma

========> RE: version 9 vs infinity

Post by RolandQuoma » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:19 am

>The V12 OCX/runtime DLL is really not that different from __>the V9 version. The meat of what is different is in the __>runtime executable itself. So could you distribute the __>newer RRWRUN.EXE with the older OCX/DLL so that the __>application can take advantage of the new runtime executable __>but still use the older OCX? __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support ____The v12 RRWRUN.EXE will load with the v9 OCX, but things look different. Some of the lines in print preview within my VFP application are now green instead of black. Also, now that the "restart report" button is available, when you select it, you get the following error: "Unknown or ambiguous group field ^<table name>^" where <table name> varies by report. These two things alone would be enough to discourge the use of v12 runtime. Are there any true advantages to using v12 runtime?____Also, would it be possible for us to develop/maintain our 100+ reports with V12 but expect them to run properly using the v9 runtime/ocx/dll in the VFP application?____Thanks.__Debra______