No Data Returned with RR SQL v 10

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
jmiskey

No Data Returned with RR SQL v 10

Post by jmiskey » Thu May 10, 2007 9:52 am

I am trying to use the SQL version of RR for the first time. I select Blank Report, then I select my SQL database from my list of data sources (the SQL database resides on a separate server, so we have an ODBC link connecting it).____It then gives me a list of tables from my database to choose from to set the Master table. I choose a small table (listed as "dbo"."Company_Master"). ____I then select a few of the key fields to display in the Record section. I then go to Print Preview to see if I can see them, and all I see is a blank sheet. For some reason, it is not showing any data.____Any ideas why? They are no filters and I know that data exists in this table and these fields.____Thanks.

kfleming

=> No Data Returned with RR SQL v 10

Post by kfleming » Mon May 14, 2007 9:27 am

The chances are good that the data type of your field is NCHAR or NVARCHAR.____What back end platform and ODBC driver are you using?____Kathleen__R&R Support

jmiskey

==> No Data Returned with RR SQL v 10

Post by jmiskey » Mon May 14, 2007 10:27 am

The platform is SQL 2000 (standard) and we are using a SQL Server ODBC driver.____I checked the tables, are there are NVARCHAR data types.

kfleming

===> No Data Returned with RR SQL v 10

Post by kfleming » Tue May 15, 2007 9:07 am

You can work around the problem by either using the Data Direct SQL Server ODBC driver or by creating a User SQL report and using the CAST function to change the data type of the field from NVARCHAR to varchar.____SELECT cast(companyname as varchar)compname from customers____would return the nvarchar field companyname as a varchar field compname that R&R could then display successfully in a report.____Kathleen__R&R Support

jmiskey

====> No Data Returned with RR SQL v 10

Post by jmiskey » Tue May 15, 2007 10:35 am

What is it about NVARCHAR data types that cause problems?____If I use the CAST function, is that something I need to do to the data sources before I try to link them in to the report? My end result is actually quite complex, and I need to link 8 tables together.____If I need to modify all 8 tables before I can even link them into RR, then RR may not be the best tool to use for this.

jmiskey

=====> No Data Returned with RR SQL v 10

Post by jmiskey » Wed May 16, 2007 1:19 pm

I was investigating the Data Direct driver option. I cannot find prices anywhere on the web site. It appears it may be a bit pricey. Does anyone know a ballpark figure as to how much they charge?____Is there any plans in the future for RR (SQL version) to support the NVARCHAR type?

kfleming

======> No Data Returned with RR SQL v 10

Post by kfleming » Wed May 16, 2007 4:01 pm

If you have V10 you already have the DataDirect driver. Just run setup again and when you get to the ODBC driver list select the DataDirect SQL Server.____We are working on an update that will allow us to read unicode fields that are returned by any ODBC driver.____Kathleen__R&R Support

jmiskey

=======> No Data Returned with RR SQL v 10

Post by jmiskey » Wed May 16, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks. It was a little tricky getting the ODBC connection set up with the Data Direct driver (with logins and NT authentication), but it looks like we got it working now.

jmiskey

========> No Data Returned with RR SQL v 10

Post by jmiskey » Thu May 17, 2007 1:01 am

OK, it worked with one table, but then I ran into problems when I tried to join a second table. I got the following error:____R&R SQL:__DB access: [DataDirect][ODBC SQL Server driver][Microsoft SQL Server]Unicode data in a Unicode-only collation or ntext data cannot be sent to clients using DB-Library (such as ISQL) or ODBC version 3.7 or earlier.____Any idea on what this means?__

kfleming

=========> No Data Returned with RR SQL v 10

Post by kfleming » Fri May 18, 2007 10:01 am

It means that the joined table has a NTEXT field which the driver does not like.____So we may be back to the original SQL Server driver and a user sql with a CAST function.____Kathleen__R&R Support