The word Dummy not Field names

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Shaughn_(Guest)

The word Dummy not Field names

Post by Shaughn_(Guest) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:45 pm

Hi, In version 12.1.001, I had a very strange error show up, when I use a DBC in Foxpro V9 I get the word DUMMY for each field name my master data file, nothing I did would correct it. I had to open the file as a DBF. not in the DBC.____Any ideas why all the fields would say ^DUMMY^,______Thanks.____Shaughn__

kfleming

=> RE: The word Dummy not Field names

Post by kfleming » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:08 am

SQL or Xbase and does this happen when you open an existing report?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Shaughn_(Guest)

==> RE: The word Dummy not Field names

Post by Shaughn_(Guest) » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:03 pm

Hello Kathleen____Xbase reports, they are sometimes existing, other times brand new. Only happens when I use a file in an DBC. I have not had this problem for quite a while but it seems to be showing up more often.____Could it be with field names longer than 10 char.____Thanks for the help.____Shaughn

kfleming

===> RE: The word Dummy not Field names

Post by kfleming » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:16 pm

There is some code that would use the word dummy when a field name cannot be evaluated but I do not know why it would occur in the circumstances you have described.____To have development evaluate this, I need to have a reproducible way to see the error so that they indeed have something tangible to fix.____If you can send me a container/table/report that shows the problem that would be great. Otherwise we are just left with a bit of a mystery.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Shaughn_(Guest)

====> RE: The word Dummy not Field names

Post by Shaughn_(Guest) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:00 pm

Kathleen,____My customer just called and stated that a report that they run everyday just did it. When I went to check on the report, it too said DUMMY in the one table when you list the fields.____This is a big report and has about 5 relations, how should I try to get this to you.____Sg

kfleming

=====> RE: The word Dummy not Field names

Post by kfleming » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:03 am

Just email the report file to livesupport@livewarepub.com ____Kathleen__R&R Support

Shaughn_(Guest)

======> RE: The word Dummy not Field names

Post by Shaughn_(Guest) » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:54 pm

Kathleen,____Thank you for your help and attention, I did a little bit of trouble shooting and found something very interesting. Prior to the error, I added a field to an existing table, and added a new table in my database container ( Visual FoxPro V9.0) Now the table that I added the field to did not have anything to do with the report and the new table has nothing to do with the report. But, since that update to the DBC some of my reports are showing that certain fields are no longer in certain tables. I put the old data and database container back and all the reports run fine. Any Ideas? Also I will send you the report and I will send you two screen shots of what I am showing. If you need the database container and the required tables let me know and I will get them to you also.____Thanks for all of your help.____Shaughn__

kfleming

=======> RE: The word Dummy not Field names

Post by kfleming » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:21 pm

Looks like the database was corrupted so that the dbc index number pointed to more than one table so R&R was confused.____Re-building the DBC structure was indeed the correct fix since the problem was indeed on the database side and not really R&R.____Kathleen__R&R Support