Character Data not Displaying

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
havensimon

Character Data not Displaying

Post by havensimon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:47 pm

I have just added another SQL database to report on. When I select any table and display the columns, they all display except for those which are nvarchar or text.____Any ideas why that might be? I^m using 12.5.

LWExplorer

=> RE: Character Data not Displaying

Post by LWExplorer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:58 am

I^m having the same problem with Oracle. Had exactly the same, with Sql Server, a couple of years ago.____I think Support is on vacation right now.__

cstrasser

==> RE: Character Data not Displaying

Post by cstrasser » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:53 am

Hi and thanks for your patience.____The issue is varchars in general. R&R doesn^t handle them by default at this time (you^ll notice that the field type in the lower-right-hand corner of the screen shows a value of 32767 (out of range).____There are three options:__1. For any varchar fields (for example book_name) that you want to display on your reports, create a calculated field with a similar name (i.e. cBookName) for them with the expression:____SQLEXP("CONVERT(CHAR(50), book_name)")____This will do the conversion on the server and bring back a standard character field to R&R. The syntax will vary based on DBMS.____2. Create views on the database for each table where you convert / cast the fields to straight character____3. ALTER your tables to not use VARCHAR or NVARCHAR fields____
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.

havensimon

===> RE: Character Data not Displaying

Post by havensimon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks very much. That does indeed work. Sadly, there are too many to alter.____Thanks for your help and I look forward to ReportWriter handling varchars and nvarchars automatically...