Failure to print - Application Log

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Jeff_Hunt_(Guest)

Failure to print - Application Log

Post by Jeff_Hunt_(Guest) » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Printing from an application we got no error message and no print out. From the Application Log within the Event Viewer we found this item. __-------------------------------------------------------------------__Date: 6/3/2009__Time: 4:18:17 PM__Type: Error__User: N/A__Computer: BOSACS01__Source: Application Error__Category: (100)__Event ID: 1000____Description:__Faulting application rrwrun.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module winspool.drv, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x000071a0.__------------------------------------------------------------------__This is happening from all pc^s which are using Terminal Server remote connection to the application server. All local pc^s are printing without issue. This is a legacy application; rrwrun.exe and the dll^s dates are 2/2001 thru 4/2001 so I don^t suspect mixed versions.____Thanks,____Jeff

kfleming

=> RE: Failure to print

Post by kfleming » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:38 am

What is the value for RI_PRINTER and RI_WPTR in the control table?__Can users print successfully if they double click execute rrwrun.exe and manually select a report?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Jeff_Hunt_(Guest)

==> RE: Failure to print

Post by Jeff_Hunt_(Guest) » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:53 am

My client made the Terminal Server connection. He navigated to the folder with RRWRUN.EXE and received this message when he tried to run.____Windows cannot access specified device, path or file____Sounds like a rights issue, unless you know of something Report Writer wise which can cause this error message?____I^m having him check the rights for this folder.____Jeff.

Jeff_Hunt_(Guest)

===> RE: Failure to print

Post by Jeff_Hunt_(Guest) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:40 pm

My client is using RDP ver 6.0 and he indicates it runs just like the older ver 5.1. Do we know if R&R might have trouble working with RDP?____Also, today I had my client connect to his production server via his terminal server RDP. From that connection he was able to print to several of his local pc^s printers using notepad.exe. He then tried to double click on the RRWRUN.EXE and it attempted to print without prompting him for a printer to a PDF driver on his local pc. This attempt did fail.____Thanks,____Jeff.

Jeff_Hunt_(Guest)

====> RE: Failure to print

Post by Jeff_Hunt_(Guest) » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 pm

The report my client is trying to print via RRWRUN.EXE - ri_printer = ? and ri_wptr = ?____When he runs the report it does not prompt him for a printer. I though it should.____Jeff.

kfleming

====> RE: Failure to print

Post by kfleming » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:28 pm

When you double click RRWUN.EXE it selects the printer saved with the report or if that printer is not found, it uses the default printer.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Jeff_Hunt_(Guest)

=====> RE: Failure to print

Post by Jeff_Hunt_(Guest) » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:28 pm

My client is using RDP ver 6.0; do you know if there is a compatibility issue with R&R ver 8 and RDP ver 6? Whenever he uses RRWRUN.exe R&R tries to print using a non-default and non-saved printer PDF driver which is on the clients PC.____Thanks,____Jeff.

kfleming

======> RE: Failure to print

Post by kfleming » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:36 am

Version 8 is an extremely old version of R&R. One strategy would be to upgrade to the latest 12.5 release where we have made lots of internal code changes including changes in printer support.____Kathleen__R&R Support