Character data coming up blank

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
xtopspinx

Character data coming up blank

Post by xtopspinx » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:39 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-09 AT 01:52 PM (EST)]Hi. I^m using SQL V10. Have been a R&R user for many years.____I^m trying to run a quick report on some MS SQL data, my ODBC is correct because I^m connecting via ACCESS and able to link tables. So I know the data is good.____For all Character type data, in the status bar at the bottom in the report designer view, I See:____fieldname: (Character) (DB: code 32767)____when I create a simple calculated field that just displays LEN(charFieldName) it comes up zero. ____This happens for EVERY table in the schema. ____Keep in mind, the data is good and has been in production for years. ____Any ideas? Thanks!____If I could post a screen shot to show the problem I would, but I don^t think the forum allows it.____RRW 10.0 Build 10.0.010____________

xtopspinx

=> RE: Character data coming up blank

Post by xtopspinx » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:45 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-09 AT 10:53 AM (EST)]Follow up. I^ve used primarily XBase so new to MS SQL. ____I^ve created an ODBC data source with which I can connect to via MSAccess 2003. Running the wizard on a basic report in MSAccess 2003 confirms:____The data is good__The ODBC is correctly configured____It^s just that running a simple report in R&RV10 shows NO Char data at all, just the numeric data. Racking my brain here and trying all kinds of things. Is this something so glaringly simple? Is there some setting for character translation I^m missing? RRW V10 ought to be compatible here? ____Thanks in advance__

xtopspinx

==> RE: Character data coming up blank

Post by xtopspinx » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Update: I^ve tried exporting to xbase (.dbf) and the character data still comes up blank. Data in these fields appear though:____DATE_RR__TIME_RR___**All Numeric Fields**__RECNO_RR___PAGE_RR__

kfleming

===> RE: Character data coming up blank

Post by kfleming » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:13 pm

My guess is that the field in an NCHAR.____Here is a workaround__Try creating a calculated field with the expression:__SQLEXP("cast(fieldname as char(20)")____where you would replace fieldname as your actual field name and the 20 with the actual field length you want to return.____This should give you the data without a problem.______Kathleen__R&R Support

xtopspinx

====> RE: Character data coming up blank

Post by xtopspinx » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Great! This worked exactly. Much appreciated!