RRW 9 SQL - File in use

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Kim_Richards_(Guest)

RRW 9 SQL - File in use

Post by Kim_Richards_(Guest) » Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:23 am

We are running RRW 9 SQL on windows 2000 desktop. When creating a report in designer , save and close the report but leaving RRW open. If you then attempt to open that same report again in that RRW session it comes up with a message saying that the file is in use would you like to make a copy. __You have to then close RRW and open it again to access that file. It does not seem to be releasing file locks. __Any Ideas?

Mary_S._(Guest)

=> RE: RRW 9 SQL - File in use

Post by Mary_S._(Guest) » Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:46 pm

There^s been quite the discussion in this forum about this issue with no resolution but it does seem to be connected to file locking. Another aspect to this perhaps is my experience with exporting. We have recently upgraded to R&R 8.1, Win2000 and Novell 5.1 from 8.0, Win95 and Novell 4.11. When I export a report to Excel then open the Excel file, it says it^s in use and do you want to open as Read Only. This did not happen in the old setup. I have also noticed there are more issues with locking files in other software we have here.

kfleming

=> RE: RRW 9 SQL - File in use

Post by kfleming » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:20 pm

My guess is that you are on a Novell network?____Kathleen__R&R Support

OwenGob

==> RE: RRW 9 SQL - File in use

Post by OwenGob » Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:38 pm

We used to get these errors on our Netware 5.x network and changed a server setting to release files quicker and this fixed the problem. ____>My guess is that you are on a Novell network? __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support __

Kim_Richards_(Guest)

==> RE: RRW 9 SQL - File in use

Post by Kim_Richards_(Guest) » Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:45 am

Our IS guy is not aware of a setting that would release files quicker so which setting did you change?? And in your case what setting did you have and what did you change it to??

Mary_S._(Guest)

===> RE: RRW 9 SQL - File in use

Post by Mary_S._(Guest) » Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:55 pm

Yes we are on Novell 5.1 but will soon be moving all our applications to a windows 2000 server. Hopefully that solves the problem then. Will try and find the setting to release files quicker on the Novell Server and see if that sorts it out.________>My guess is that you are on a Novell network? __>__>Kathleen __>R&R Support __

Mary_S._(Guest)

===> RE: RRW 9 SQL - File in use

Post by Mary_S._(Guest) » Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:12 pm

I don^t want to let this get too far down - anyone out there have any idea where this setting is on a server?