Default Paper Tray assignment

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
taylorjm

Default Paper Tray assignment

Post by taylorjm » Tue May 15, 2001 9:10 am

Is there a secret RRW.INI file option to set the deafult paper tray on a multiple printer? Reports appear to be created with Tray #1 as the default. One of my Runtime users would like to have Tray #2 as the default for their printer and avoid changing the properties each time a report is run.__Jim Taylor__

kfleming

=> RE: Default Paper Tray assignment

Post by kfleming » Tue May 15, 2001 1:44 pm

There is not currently a way to accomplish this with R&R.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Rick_Anderson_(Guest)

==> RE: Default Paper Tray assignment

Post by Rick_Anderson_(Guest) » Fri May 18, 2001 11:21 am

Couldn^t you set up the default printer in Windows to go to a specific tray rather than the first available, then use runtime to automatically print to the default printer?

Jim_Taylor_(Guest)

===> RE: Default Paper Tray assignment

Post by Jim_Taylor_(Guest) » Fri May 18, 2001 11:31 am

That might work if you save the report in designer with this as the default printer. I don^t have a multi-tray printer to test it with. I would guess that R&R Runtime will override the printer defaults.__

Rick_Anderson_(Guest)

====> RE: Default Paper Tray assignment

Post by Rick_Anderson_(Guest) » Fri May 18, 2001 11:45 am

In the old days, RR had a printer setup file where 8 printers could be defined. Actually, you could have them all the same physical printer, but send different instructions to the printer just before the report printed (e.g., to select your preferred tray). Then the runtime report ri_printer number would actually reflect different trays on the same printer.____I thought you could do something similar in windows. That is, on the clients workstation, set the parameters for the default printer to print to a specific tray (e.g., in HP6, manual feed tray). Then in runtime, enter Default in ri_printer. When the user prints the report to the default printer, report should use the default settings in Windows and go to the manual feed tray on the HP6. ____Haven^t tried it yet, but let me know if it works.____

kfleming

=====> RE: Default Paper Tray assignment

Post by kfleming » Fri May 18, 2001 3:17 pm

The gotcha is that we will look at the saved tray in the report rather than the default tray for the current printer...____Kathleen__R&R Support

Allen_Hochstetler_(Guest)

=> RE: Default Paper Tray assignment

Post by Allen_Hochstetler_(Guest) » Mon May 21, 2001 9:00 am

That is bad news, Kathleen. I^m moving some reports over to windows (using RR ver 8.0). ____I was hoping to have the client set up multiple printers in windows/start/settings/printers for the same physical printer but each one would default to a different bin (e.g., HP6a-manual feed, HP6b-first available tray, etc.). Then I would bypass having RR runtime asking the user to select a printer for the report (i.e., will place the name of the printer directly in ri_printer instead of a ?). In my app, the user would select a bin in a screen I design, and the app would write in the name of the printer for that bin e.g., the HP6a printer if the report is to print on the manual tray.____But you say if I set this all up, RR will ignore the setting for that printer and use whatever was saved with the report? Can^t understand why you can enter the name of a specific printer in ri_printer if that printer^s settings are automatically overridden. Unless, I guess, some other formatting settings on the ri_printer specified printer are not overridden but the one for the bin is.____Before I give up on the idea, just wanted to get a confirm from you again that this would not work. No ability to change bins in a network installation is going to be a problem for my conversion.____Thanks,__Rick____

Rick_Anderson_(Guest)

======> RE: Default Paper Tray assignment

Post by Rick_Anderson_(Guest) » Mon May 21, 2001 3:08 pm

Hi Rick,____so far I thought I was the only one having this problem! Kathleen confirmed it as a bug already and stated that it was on their to-be-fixed-list for a future release. ____This is a major problem for me and it^s one of the reasons why I still mostly use 5.0 in my productive installations..____I hope they^ll fix it soon.____Please let me know when you find a workaround. I^ve spent hours on this one...____Michael.

Michael_Hoffmann_(Guest)

=======> RE: Default Paper Tray assignment

Post by Michael_Hoffmann_(Guest) » Tue May 22, 2001 1:26 am

Yes you can assign a default printer and paper tray in R&R Designer and save it with the report BUT--please read below.____As a note, I found a rather odd quirk with running reports from and rp5 library using a HP LJ 8100DN (PCL 6), four paper trays, printer installed on an NT 4 sp6a server, R&R version 8.1 with the service pack installed.__The workstation is a WIN 2K with the 8100DN combo driver for NT 4 and Windows 2000.____When I set the 8100DN printer for one of 8 reports in the library in Report designer and save the report back to the library and then try to run the report from an icon--RRWRUN.exe error occurs. If I run one of the other reports within this library that is not set to use the 8100DN--the report runs with out a problem. Now the quirk, If I now select the problem report that is using the 8100DN--the report runs and prints.____If I run the problem report in report designer and use the 8100DN printer, no proiblem.____If I set the default printer for all of the reports in this library to a HP LJ 4+, 5, 4050, etc and then select the 8100DN printer and tray instead, the report will run every time.____For all that are having headaches with printing from WIN 2K__Thanks____