Kathleen Please Read

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
freitas

Kathleen Please Read

Post by freitas » Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:39 pm

Kathleen,____I received a message from my response about XP and PDF files. According to Micheal, R&R has a problem with footers and XP. He told me to run a report with no footers or take the footers out. So I ran a report with no footers and it worked. Put the footers back in and it did not work.____Almost every report I have contains footers. Is someone working on this problem?______Thanks____Tom Freitas

kfleming

=> RE: Kathleen Please Read

Post by kfleming » Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:30 pm

I was not aware of a problem with footers and PDF export under XP.__I just created a report in XP with page headers and footers and was able to successfully print to a PDF file from the Designer and using runtime.____Kathleen__R&R Support

M._Hoffmann_(Guest)

==> RE: Kathleen Please Read

Post by M._Hoffmann_(Guest) » Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:26 am

Hi Kathleen,____I^m not entirely sure but I think the problem pops up if you have a group footer that is higher than the page footer and you replace the page footer with the group footer at a group end. Now when the records of a group are not enough to trigger the page footer, but when R&R then wants to print the group footer (although there^s not enough space lefton the page) the strangest of things can happen, depending on OS and R&R Version. R&R DOS never threw up an error on DOS. R&R DOS most of the time throws up an error on Windows NT. R&R for Windows still shows the same problems (9.0). The cure for the problem is: Make the page footer the same size as the group footer.____Proof? We have this problem with our invoice reports. When R&R dies (Dr. Watson!) we just add a blank item and voilá: It works.____Now if you could rid us of this problem, I^d hug and kiss you 1000 times! I^ve spent (unpaid) hours on customer reports, that had this problem. Unfotunately it^s a common thing that group footers are bigger than page footers and customers tend to complain about wasted space on their business documents!____And when you^re on the problem, conditional lines make things even worse. R&R gets entirely "out of pace" when you use them in footer lines. ____Kind regards,____Michael.____ ________

kfleming

===> RE: Kathleen Please Read

Post by kfleming » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:12 pm

If you are using swapped headers or footers, you have to make sure that the group and page areas have the exact same size or you will indeed run into problems.__If they are the same, the things should work correctly (although I have sometimes seen oddities if I export to RTF with swapping turned on.)__Maybe the PDF problem is also a manifestation of this..____Kathleen__R&R Support

M._Hoffmann_(Guest)

====> RE: Kathleen Please Read

Post by M._Hoffmann_(Guest) » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:01 am

Hi Kathleen,____what do you mean by "run into problems"? A "Dr. Watson Error" is something a program should never allow to happen. ____Unforutunately it^s a common thing that page footers and group footers differ in size. I think R&R should handle them correctly. That shouldn^t be such a big deal! Same with conditional lines. Many things can be accomplished with conditional lines in R&R. Unfortuntely R&R always assumes they will be printed when checking if a page break is required. You can^t imgaine what trouble I^m in because of this flaw...____Please get your priorities straight and fix these nasty problems. I haven^t complained about them because I assumed I was the only one experiencing them.____Kind regards,____Michael.______

kfleming

=====> RE: Kathleen Please Read

Post by kfleming » Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:14 am

The RTF problem that I have seen is not a crash but rather extra pages with just the swapped page header when a group continues across multiple pages and the report contains a wrapped memo field.____I got the problem files from Tom and I think that his report does show a bug but not one specifically related to swapping. I am sending it along to development for examination.____Since its inception, R&R has always required that swapped footers equally match the area of page footers. It would be nicer if it were sufficiently flexible to accomodate variations in size but right now she is a rigid old lady who needs consistency to operate.____Kathleen__R&R Support