Ad Hoc Field Selection?

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
RRUser

Ad Hoc Field Selection?

Post by RRUser » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:49 am

Hello Ya^ll__ __I^m new to R&R, having inherited a developers position, so my question may seem trivial. Anyway, we are using R&R 9 Xbase edition, viewer OCX in a VB 6 application. The application allows users to query an Access DB containing a number of related tables. Different DB^s will have tables with different formats (ie., DB^s are customized) The query result may or may not contain all the fields built into an R&R report. So, if the resultset of a SQL query (saved into a dBASE table) is missing an expected field, the report bombs. I need to avoid using SELECT * FROM, though this would ensure getting all fields.____I can override the DB/tables to use, but is there a way to allow the user to specify what fields are used in the report? If so, we could avoid writing reports specific to each DB, supplying them with a standard set of reports, e.g., Executive Summary, Inventory Summary etc., and also allow them to pick ^n choose which fields to summarize on. ____Many thanks in advance__

kfleming

=> RE: Ad Hoc Field Selection?

Post by kfleming » Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:22 pm

R&R does get unhappy if a saved field name is not available.__You could take a look at report scripting (it is described in the Developing Applications section of the documentation.__It allows you to use a text input file that allows you to create and run a report on the fly. It would however take some programming effort to build the user interface that would create the script file.______Kathleen__R&R Support

RRUser

==> RE: Ad Hoc Field Selection?

Post by RRUser » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:08 am

Thank you for the response. I will look into scripting. I^m planning to do some major redesign early next year; that may be a good time to work in a new interface and script defined reports.____