Querying on SQL dates

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
SimonBray

Querying on SQL dates

Post by SimonBray » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:15 am

Is it just a feature of SQL and R&R SQL that we can do nothing about or am I missing something but is it no longer possible to do a simple date query in R&R SQL against date fields. I would rather not have to create duplicate fields using the TODATE() function because not only is that extra wrok when wruting the reports but it adds a massive delay in querying large tables. Euqlaly I can not expect my users to know that to enter date they actually have to enter in the format {mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss} - I think the developer who thought of this was forgetting that real people don^t think like computers.____I can only re-emphaisse how disappointed I am in R&R SQL. The whole beauty of the 13 years I have been using R&R Xbase was that it was simple to use both from a design and run time position - you made the relations between the tables and everything worked. This is no longer the case. Nearly all my relations in SQL either no longer work because they are invalid outer joins or they bring back too many records and so the totals are complete garbage. And the only answer I get back from Liveware is that it is all SQL^s fault.____Regards,__Simon Bray

kfleming

=> RE: Querying on SQL dates

Post by kfleming » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:03 pm

The rules of the worlds of Xbase and SQL are indeed external constants over which R&R has no direct control.__Did you switch to SQL because your application vendor switched or did you convert to SQL for data whose design is under your control?__I personally am a long time Xbase person and also chafe when forced to use SQL. But many people were brought up in a SQL world and have no problem at all in working within its universe.____Kathleen__R&R Support

SimonBray

==> RE: Querying on SQL dates

Post by SimonBray » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:47 pm

We design our own systems and we changed for a combintaion of reasons. We were using FoxPro 2.6 and had constant problems with database corruptions and that language was struggling to keep up with OS technology. So as we were forced into a VFP rewrite we thought we would look at the database and thought that SQL would give us better reliability, performance and connectivity to other applications. So far that has all been true except I have to keep saying for R&R which is not proving to be an improvement and several reports which worked quite happily in R&R Xbase have had to be re-written in VFP because of the inability to link from table A to table B to table C even when table B might not have a record. In those cases just return blank and link to table C with blank but that seem to be beyond SQL. If people who have grown up with SQL are happy then can they please tell me how they get around this problem ? ____Regards,__Simon Bray.

kfleming

===> RE: Querying on SQL dates

Post by kfleming » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:01 pm

If you are using Visual Foxpro, then you can still use the Xbase version of R&R. It will happily report on Foxpro DBF and DBC files.__Kathleen__R&R Support

SimonBray

====> RE: Querying on SQL dates

Post by SimonBray » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:56 am

We may be using VFP but we are linking it to MS SQL 2000 for the reasons I gave above. So we have no XBase data anymore.____Regards,__Simon Bray.

kfleming

=====> RE: Querying on SQL dates

Post by kfleming » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:42 pm

Are your reports converted from Xbase to SQL? If so, the first time that you open them in SQL, R&R should ask "Convert DATETIME fields to DATE fields?" If you answer yes, then your SQL native datetime fields will be treated as simple date fields without referencing the time portion.____Kathleen__R&R Support