Report previewable not executable

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Scott_Pierson_(Guest)

Report previewable not executable

Post by Scott_Pierson_(Guest) » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:31 am

Report Writer, V. 9.0 xbase ____My report seems to run perfectly fine from within designer (print preview) but when I try to run it via a shortcut with rrwrun.exe (text control file) it starts to run (I get my riparam prompts and a minimized R&R logo button on my taskbar) but never comes up on screen. I^ve quadruple checked the syntax of my shortcut and my text control file. I^ve also swapped out the report name in the text control file and run other reports successfully so I^m sure it^s not the text control file that^s the problem. ____It^s an extremely simple report - just two fields, each field from a different table - the two tables are flexlinked. I thought that the executable might have problems with flexlinking so I built a different report that included flexlinking and that ran fine with rrwrun.exe and the control file. Do you have any idea what might cause my report to run fine in print preview but hang up when run with the executable? Any info would be greatly appreciated.____Thanks.

kfleming

=> Report previewable not executable

Post by kfleming » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:47 am

It sounds like the report is really executing but then finding no records that meet the query condition.__Try it without a query and see if it then works.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Scott_Pierson_(Guest)

==> RE: Report previewable not executa

Post by Scott_Pierson_(Guest) » Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:13 am

Thank you for your reply.____This report has no queries. When I print preview it within report designer it generates 8600 records. The text control file doesn^t provide any parameters, it just triggers it to run. Even though I mentioned Riparam prompts in my previous record, I went ahead and created a text control file without the prompts just to simplify it and zero in on the problem.____Just to clarify the problem a little further - when it runs in print preview it takes about 20 seconds to finish, when I run it using runtime, it starts (minimized icon) but after 2 hours still won^t come up onscreen. The only way I can get out of it is to control-alt delete and end task. And my rrwrun.out file is empty.