ASCII Characters Not Working

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Andrew_Young_(Guest)

ASCII Characters Not Working

Post by Andrew_Young_(Guest) » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:07 am

How do I get proper ASCII support in R&R Version 10? Even with unicode fonts I am not getting the correct symbol for Omega (Ù). This character is the standard representation for Ohms, and we have hundreds of reports that use it.

kfleming

=> RE: ASCII Characters Not Working

Post by kfleming » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:01 am

Edit the file RRW.SRT that is in the R&R program directory and remove the semi-colon from the start of the line:____;DBCHARS=ANSI____so it becomes____DBCHARS=ANSI____Save the file and re-start R&R and your characters should then be correctly displayed.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Andrew_Young_(Guest)

==> RE: ASCII Characters Not Working

Post by Andrew_Young_(Guest) » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:10 pm

This did not work. I am using the SQL edition, so I edited the RSW.srt and RSW20.srt files also. No change. This isn^t an omega symbol from our database, this is an Omega symbol as part of a label. If I enter the ASCII Code for omega, it will be displayed as on O. If I enter the ASCII Code into notepad and copy the omega symbol, it pastes as an O. I tried Unicode fonts. Didn^t make a difference.

Andrew_Young_(Guest)

===> RE: ASCII Characters Not Working

Post by Andrew_Young_(Guest) » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:14 pm

Upon further research, it appears that Report Writer is forcing the use of the ANSI character set. ANSI does not have an Omega symbol.__Source: http://www.alanwood.net/demos/ansi.html__What I need is proper support for either DOS ASCII, or Windows Unicode. Both of these standards support Omega. __Omega in Unicode: 937__Omega in DOS upper ASCII: 234____ANSI 234 = ê (Latin small letter e with circumflex)

kfleming

====> RE: ASCII Characters Not Working

Post by kfleming » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:19 pm

In the SQL version, the setting for character set in made within the RSWSQL.INI file that is in the R&R program directory.__You need to add a line that says:__DBANSI=0____to the appropriate platform section of that file.______Kathleen__R&R Support

Andrew_Young_(Guest)

=====> RE: ASCII Characters Not Working

Post by Andrew_Young_(Guest) » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:32 pm

; DBAnsi__; If DBAnsi is absent or set to 1, RSW will assume that SQL__; character data is in the ANSI character set. With a value of__; 0, an OEM character set is assumed and character data will be __; converted from OEM to ANSI when used by RSW.____I don^t want ANSI, I want ASCII. The ANSI standard is different, and does not include the symbol I need (Omega). Setting this flag either way has no effect on the Labels (Simple text fields, not linked to the database in any way). I have tried both =1 and =0, neither had any effect at all. Again, changing the way SQL character data is read/written will have no effect on constant text fields.____

kfleming

======> RE: ASCII Characters Not Working

Post by kfleming » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:33 am

Does a calculated field with expression:__CHR(217)__formatted to use Arial font give you what you want?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Andrew_Young_(Guest)

=======> RE: ASCII Characters Not Working

Post by Andrew_Young_(Guest) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:19 am

No, it does not. It gives a U with a ^ over it.

kfleming

========> RE: ASCII Characters Not Working

Post by kfleming » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:38 pm

Try:__char(234)__It should give you a lower case e with a tilde above it which is I think what you want?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Andrew_Young_(Guest)

=========> RE: ASCII Characters Not Working

Post by Andrew_Young_(Guest) » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:09 pm

No, I want an Omega symbol. Unfortunately, after I posted one on this board it got swaped to another character, even though it appeared correctly on the ^ready to post^ screen. An Omega symbol looks like an upside-down horseshoe. Click on the following link and go to the bottom of the page to see it.____http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/documentation/reference/html/iso-grk3.html____It is the last letter in the Greek alphabet, and is used in scientific circles to represent Ohms. The ASCII Code is indeed 234, but the ANSI code for 234 is an E with a tilde. OMEGA is NOT in the ANSI standard. Omega is in BOTH the ASCII and UNICODE standards.