HP 4359 PCL6 Tray Selection

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
rickmds

HP 4359 PCL6 Tray Selection

Post by rickmds » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:29 am

Hello__I have a long term client running business reports using the runtime. They have a new networked HP 4359 PCL6 printer that can use different paper sheet trays. The various R&R reports being printed appear to be over riding the end user^s sheet tray selection. The control file rrwrunin.dbf is being used and the ri_printer field is set to "?". ____Question: Is there a setting in R&R to control this printer^s tray selection? Additionally, is there something I can do in the design of the report to avoid this client^s problems?____Client Question to me...__"NEW PRINTER A HP4350 PCL6. SOME REPORTS SUCH AS THE MATRIX STAFFING PRINT WITH NO PROBLEM OTHERS - EXAMPLE CCJ AND MONTHLY 1ST PRIORITY DEFAULT TO TRAY 1 THIS IS A SINGLE SHEET FEED- THE PAPER IS NOW LOADED AT TRAY 2. WE CAN MANUALLY GO INTO PROPERTIES EACH TIME WE PRINT AND CHANGE IT. IS THERE A WAY TO CHANGE IT BE DEFAULT?"____Thanks__Rick__

kfleming

=> RE: HP 4359 PCL6 Tray Selection

Post by kfleming » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:12 pm

There is not currently a way to programatically change the tray selection in a report. You need to open the report and use File Page Setup in the designer to select/modify a tray selection.____Kathleen__R&R Support__

rickmds

==> RE: HP 4359 PCL6 Tray Selection

Post by rickmds » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:56 am

Kathleen__This is a runtime client on the other side of the country. Your answer suggest that I need the printer installed on our network or that R&R Reports be installed on their network in order for me to make this change... yes/no? I have always believed that the printer selection and drivers were independent of R&R, otherwise the runtime would be impossible to manage. Can you provide more detail?__Thanks__Rick____

kfleming

===> RE: HP 4359 PCL6 Tray Selection

Post by kfleming » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:33 am

One way around this would be for the client to purchase a $100 copy of R&R Lite http://www.livewarepub.com/lite.htm so that they can save the report with the correct tray on their machine.____Kathleen__R&R Support

rickmds

====> RE: HP 4359 PCL6 Tray Selection

Post by rickmds » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:04 am

Kathleen__This work around is worrisome because it would require the purchase of the R&R Lite version for potentially every user associated with this printer. We would also have to write an interface to integrate the R&R Lite engine into our FoxPro application. Is this printer problematic because it has multiple trays? I have not run into this problem with the runtime in the 15 years that I have been using R&R. Is there a plan to replace the R&R runtime with the R&R Lite product?__Rick__

Nick_I_(Guest)

=====> RE: HP 4359 PCL6 Tray Selection

Post by Nick_I_(Guest) » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:53 am

Rick,____I have solved this one by having the user add a printer driver for the HP Laserjet III, the last one before HP started messing with the tray behavior (or I guess adding trays).____Its part of Windows, so its a painless install for the user.____I write all of my reports with this as the defined printer.____Since its an old model, some capabilities and fonts are probably lacking, but at least you get output rather than an error message.

kfleming

======> RE: HP 4359 PCL6 Tray Selection

Post by kfleming » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:50 am

Thanks for the good workaround suggestion.____Kathleen__R&R Support