Windows2000 and Citrix MetaFrame XP

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Larrycag

=> RE: Win2K and Citrix MetaFrame

Post by Larrycag » Wed Apr 03, 2002 3:56 pm

I plan to suggest not repurchasing Liveware products for our department, too. We have been using RRW for a long long time, but it^s unbelievable how bad things have gotten for this company. They no longer fix there products. They want you to pay for technical support - and the need for technical support never ends.____Maybe we should start a message topic in this forum: Suggestions for a RRW replacement?

ZapotekGoP

==> RE: Win2K and Citrix MetaFrame

Post by ZapotekGoP » Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:37 pm

Telephone support is indeed provided on a fee basis however no charges are made for issues that are the result of product defects.____Although it is true that R&R is not 100% bug free, that is also I suspect the case for most software. Despite the contention that we never fix problems, our download area does contain patches and we do continue to create and post updates.____I am sorry that we have disappointed you. You can certainly turn to Crystal for your reporting needs however I suspect that you might find that they too use a fee based support system.________Kathleen__R&R Support

kfleming

===> Win2K and Citrix MetaFrame

Post by kfleming » Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:29 am

I have a client who is having this exact problem. Win 2000 server (dual processor) / Citrix Metaframe / R&R 9.0009 / 50 users / VDM shows up. We need a solution please!__We were going to move the report apps to another server, but after reading this discussion it appears that will not solve our problem.__Help!

StacyDin

====> RE: Win2K and Citrix MetaFrame

Post by StacyDin » Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:36 am

I just started working with a client who is having this exact same problem on Windows 2000 as well. We originally thought the problem was confined to their Terminal server, but the 100% CPU utilization occurs on a standalone PC running Windows 2000 as well, whenever the report is in print preview. The ridiculous thing is that this happens with a short, very straightforward report that is running against an Access database table with less than 600 records.____This is obviously a problem that has been identified because as noted above, there is a RR Report Writer FAQ that indicates that this is a problem. This is obviously a bug, since very little should be going on while in Print Preview.____So, if RR Tech Support can stop trying to convince us that this isn^t happening or isn^t a problem, I just want to know if there are plans to fix this and if so when it can be expected; otherwise, we will move on to a different product.

kfleming

=====> RE: Win2K and Citrix MetaFrame

Post by kfleming » Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:00 pm

Apart from seeing the number, are you experiencing any real interference with other applications? On my 2000 machine, having an R&R report in preview has caused no other problems for other running applications. ____If you are seeing difficulties, please let me know what else is running on the machine and what kind of problems you see and I will try to reproduce here.________Kathleen__R&R Support

pdempsey

=====> RE: Win2K and Citrix MetaFrame

Post by pdempsey » Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:21 am

We are seeing a lot of interference with other applications when running it on a terminal server. My client user^s mostly log in to a terminal server to use an Access database. Whenever a single user runs a RR report and keeps it in print preview, all access to applications being accessed by other users is exceeding slow or completely disrupted/frozen. ____In particular the Access database (which is small and has less than a couple thousand records total) reports a "disk or network" error indicating that it is unable to process correctly.__

Larrycag

======> RE: Win2K and Citrix MetaFrame

Post by Larrycag » Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:03 am

Are user trying to use the same table that is being previewed by another R&R user. What if the R&R user previews one of the R&R sample reports instead so it is different data but still the same 100% CPU? Do you still see the same degradation?____Kathleen__R&R Support

StacyDin

======> RE: Win2K and Citrix MetaFrame

Post by StacyDin » Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:54 pm

Yes, we saw the same performance degradations occur when using the sample reports.

bhervieux

=======> RE: Win2K and Citrix MetaFrame

Post by bhervieux » Fri May 03, 2002 1:54 pm

One thing we^ve found about terminal server is that you MUST use the add/remove programs to install software. If you just use the setup on the CD, it will cause some strange problems.____-Pat-

kfleming

========> RE: Win2K and Citrix MetaFrame

Post by kfleming » Sat May 04, 2002 12:03 pm

We are running ACCPAC Pro-Series and every one comes to a screaching halt. We have sent an email to our users to stop previewing reports to help with the problem but some users still do it. My client is in Westwood MA if you would like to see this problem in a live environment. Please contact me at 508-341-5077 if this would be helpful. Bob Hervieux H.I.S. Consulting