ERR:Cant Create sort temp file-v9

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Michael

ERR:Cant Create sort temp file-v9

Post by Michael » Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:49 pm

My automated report sets were running fine with __Rapid Runner v1.2 for R&R xBase v9.0 up until __recently when for no apparent reason they decided__to stop working.____I have a Data Server and a Web Server. R&R is running__from the web server and accessing data on the Data Server__to report on. The output of the reports is to HTML saved__in various directories of the web server. The reports __appear as if they are writing running normally, but then __at the end of the Report set, none of the HTML reports are __updated and I have the following error:____!! Report could not complete: Cannot create sort temporary file____If anyone has run into this type of error and may have a __solution to the problem you help would be GREATLY appreciated.____Extra Details:____Data Server - WinNT4.0, Fox Pro 6.0 Db__Web Server - WinNT4.0, R&Rv9.0, Apache v 1.3.24______adv(THANKS)ance~!____- Michael

kfleming

=> ERR:Cant Create sort temp file-v9

Post by kfleming » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:56 am

Can you run the reports outside of Rapid Runner?__Is there a chance that you might be out of disk space?______Kathleen__R&R Support

Michael

==> ERR:Cant Create sort temp file-v9

Post by Michael » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:50 pm

Here is what I have. ____There is 2 Gigs of free space on the Drive C: (where reports are running *FROM*) and 7 Gigs of free space on Drive I: (where the reports are saving *TO*). ____Which brings me to another question. What is the Sort Temporary File and is it going to try and save to the C drive or the I drive? Also if it^s using the C drive is it possible that if the combined sized of all the DBFs being reported on is 800 Megs that it could use MORE than the available 2 Gigs of Free Space ??____I am in great need of ANY thoughts or ideas that might help... as it is I am probably going to Uninstall and Reinstall just to see if that works (which means I may be bringing down a server needlessly if that isn^t a solution) :(____what to do?____- Michael

kfleming

===> ERR:Cant Create sort temp file-v9

Post by kfleming » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:30 pm

You can also try adding a SPECIAL section (put brackets around the word SPECIAL) section to your C:windowsRRW.INI file and in it add the line:__RRWHANDLES=60____And see if that makes any difference.____Sort temp files always get created in the TEMP directory that has been set in the system.____Kathleen__R&R Support__

Michael

====> ERR:Cant Create sort temp file-v9

Post by Michael » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:27 pm

Kathleen, ____I tried adding the:____[Special]__RRWHANDLES=60____to the RRW.INI file in c:winnt and it didn^t seem to make any difference. do you have any other ideas as to what may be causing__this?____Please advise.____Thanks, ____Michael

kfleming

=====> ERR:Cant Create sort temp file-v9

Post by kfleming » Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:53 pm

Does the report run outside of Rapid Runner?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Michael

======> ERR:Cant Create sort temp file-v9

Post by Michael » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:19 pm

No, the report will fail with the same error either way (Rapid Runner or Report Designer). ____Where is the "Temp" folder that it is trying to save the Sort File to on Win NT 4.0 ?? it^s not the same as the Temporary Internet Folder is it? Is there any way that I can Increase the size allowed in the system temp folder?? and is it possible that maybe it doesn^t exist anymore??____Still lQQking for for answers.____ADV(Thanks)ANCE~!__Michael

Michael

=======> ERR:Cant Create sort temp file-v9

Post by Michael » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:28 pm

I did some research online and figured out that the System TEMP folder is designated under CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > ENVIRONMENT (for NT 4.0) and the folder that was designated had been deleted off our. I have re-designated to the typical C:Temp and am running the reports successfully.____Thanks for all your help~!____- Michael