Emailing R&R reports

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Richard_Hoek_(Guest)

=========> RE: Emailing R&R reports

Post by Richard_Hoek_(Guest) » Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:46 am

Dear Dan,____I fully understand your choice about *NOT* including mapi support in your royalty free runtime.____Our clients in Holland *SURELY* will not use R&R developer for several reasons, so selling the whole program is not an option for us.____We would still like to be able to let our clients send email through R&R. ____Therefor I would like to suggest that you create an alternative runtime that we have to pay for (not too much of course).____Thanks in advance.____Richard Hoek______

Sergio_(Guest)

==========> RE: Emailing R&R reports

Post by Sergio_(Guest) » Wed May 02, 2001 6:33 pm

Richard,____Why don^t you download a utility that would do such a thing? I found a nice DOS utility called BLAT, and it works great with my Clipper and Delphi applications. I^m still using R&R runtime to create txt output and then execute BLAT.____Good luck!__Sergio

rick_hoek_(Guest)

===========> RE: Emailing R&R reports

Post by rick_hoek_(Guest) » Mon May 21, 2001 1:27 pm

Using BLAT is an option, though we have quite some different OS configurations W95 / W98 / W2K /NT and all of them in different networks at our clients offices using different mail solutions. ____We sometimes cannot get BLAT or CLEMAIL or other commandline mailers running stable, so I thought it might be a good idea to these guys, but I get no response. :-((____

Bob_Powell_(Guest)

============> RE: Emailing R&R reports

Post by Bob_Powell_(Guest) » Tue May 22, 2001 9:41 am

Never heard of BLAT ... I have been able to finally get R&R to print to a temporary file in RTF format .. Then my application attaches the file to an email created using OLE to Outlook. This works okay but the output is missing a lot of the formatting the printed reports have. ____One of the main problems was getting the R&R function ExecRuntime() to not cause an error when the wait paramater was set to it.____

R._Anderson_(Guest)

=============> RE: Emailing R&R reports

Post by R._Anderson_(Guest) » Tue May 22, 2001 10:41 am

Wouldn^t printing to HTML format instead of RTF and attaching that to email give you formatting and charting, unless the receiver wants to make changes to the RTF file?

Bob_Powell_(Guest)

==============> RE: Emailing R&R reports

Post by Bob_Powell_(Guest) » Thu May 24, 2001 10:51 am

I tried the HTML export and found that it did NOT maintain all the formating and the RTF version was actually closer to what the client wanted.

Richard_Hoek_(Guest)

===============> TO DAN, AGAIN (please respond)

Post by Richard_Hoek_(Guest) » Mon May 28, 2001 4:29 pm

Dear Dan,__I fully understand your choice about *NOT* including mapi support in your royalty free runtime.____Our clients in Holland *SURELY* will not use R&R developer for several reasons, so selling the whole program is not an option for us.____We would still like to be able to let our clients send email through R&R. ____Therefor I would like to suggest that you create an alternative runtime that we have to pay for (not too much of course).____Thanks in advance.____Richard Hoek____a_rather_happy_RRuser@computerhome.com

Lisa_Pfeifer_(Guest)

========> RE: Emailing R&R reports - Runtime vs Enterprise?

Post by Lisa_Pfeifer_(Guest) » Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:21 pm

Based on President Dan Levin^s email, I have several concerns about the future direction of R&R with regard to who Liveware is marketing their product towards. Are you marketing your product to the millions of Windows developers - or to our end users?____Encouraging our end users to purchase a full R&R license by limiting the run-time is like Microsoft withholding functionality from their visual studio run-times in an attempt to encourage more sales through end user purchases.____And while recommending full R&R licenes to our customers may have a positive impact on Liveware^s sales, we are concerned with the possible impact to our sales. Not to mention, we will now be the ones supporting our end users on your product since it is a requirement for running our product. They will know nothing about R&R or your company.____By the way, I thought the goal in business was to make the customer look like a hero. That^s what a good product is all about. If I use R&R and look like a hero to my customers, I will spread the word to other developers so they too can look like a hero. Have you considered that by purposely withholding functionality from the runtime, you are making yourself less marketable to other developers? But if your market is not to developers, then I understand your thinking.____I should note, that we have used R&R since the DOS days for the past 10 years, purchasing every upgrade along the way. We would like to continue with R&R, but we are very concerned.____Please tell us all who your market is.____Lisa______

Pat_D_(Guest)

========> RE: Emailing R&R reports

Post by Pat_D_(Guest) » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:56 am

I agree with Lisa. Basically our end users wouldn^t want me to give them design time R&R. For one, the people that rely on it simply want to click shortcuts and have their reports run off with the minimum of fuss. If I told them that they would have to sit there creating queries and going through the long-winded process of doing an export for every email they wanted to send out they would tell me where to go!____Basically I have had several requests in our company to run off R&R email reports unattended by batch operation. I was misled by our 3rd party Xbase software vendors into believing that R&R ver 9 was the answer to this problem and was sadly mistaken. What^s more is that it is not made clear in the advertising material for the product that it cannot be used with runtime. In the UK I am sure this would be an issue for Trading Standards.____For those who are interested. I have found a neat little application called GSend that will automatically attach files to Novell Groupwise emails and send them out to whoever you specify.____That is the now the problem now for R&R you see? They have dangled the carrot and now developers want the complete solution. If they dont get it they will look into alternative resources - be it another bolt-on package or sourcing an alternative to R&R (Hello Crystal Reports!!!).____In summary to R&R. I would get your act together on this issue before it ends up being too late!

Adam_Cooper_(Guest)

=========> RE: Emailing R&R reports - Runtime vs Enterprise?

Post by Adam_Cooper_(Guest) » Fri Aug 17, 2001 7:41 am

We are constantly continuing our development efforts and may indeed in the future be able to offer automated email bursting so that it works for the benefit of our development community and so it sustains our own business viability.______Kathleen__R&R Support__