Export to RTF

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Sylvain_Bujold_(Guest)

Export to RTF

Post by Sylvain_Bujold_(Guest) » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:35 pm

Hi,____We^re testing the export to RTF to add this option in our reports application but there are 3 problems (version used is the latest release of 10+) :____1) The wrapping of memo field is a bit different to what^s sent to the printer, even if the fonts and margins are the same ? Can someone give me hints on what are the gotchas to make sure the wrapping of memo fields are 99% similar in the report and the rtf file ?____2) Underlined text is translated as underlined words in the RTF file. Is there a way to force it to be interpreted as a standard underline ?____3) Images don^t seem to be exported ? Is it normal ?____Our goal is to give more power to the users so that if one letter or report is too long large to fit on the number of pages they wish for one particular situation they can re-arrange themselves this one out of 200 letters that doesn^t fits, instead for asking for a change. RTF seemed great to accomplish this but with what we^ve come up with it^s not good enough.____Any suggestions ? Thanks a lot!____Sylvain Bujold

kfleming

=> RE: Export to RTF

Post by kfleming » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:44 am

Images are not included in RTF output and underline is indeed done on a character basis.____Could you alternatively output the report to PDF?____That would give you an exact image of the printed copy of the report.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Sylvain_Bujold_(Guest)

==> RE: Export to RTF

Post by Sylvain_Bujold_(Guest) » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:33 am

Hi Kathleen,____Thanks a lot for your reply! PDF is not good, if you read the last part of my message what we want is to give the users to re-arrange a particular print of a report if there is a particular situation.____I^ll check in amyuni RTF converter but so far it doesn^t support the images well. Maybe cos it^s a demo. Thanks a lot!!

cal

=> RE: Export to RTF

Post by cal » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:43 pm

Hello, Sylvain.____I have a situation almost identical to yours. I have not found a resolution as yet.____Do you know of any further discoveries regarding this problem? Did you have any success with the Amyuni product?____I have not seen any further postings from Kathleen on this topic, either.____Cal

cal

===> RE: Export to RTF

Post by cal » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:44 am

Did anyone ever determine if the Amyuni RTF converter improved this situation?____Cal

cal

Post by cal » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:53 pm

I^ve run into the same situation with rtf exports not being very "faithful" to the report formatting. In my case I am producing documents which are used in presenting candidates for employment positions. My application allows my clients to choose hardcopy, pdf, and rtf. In a significant percentage of situations, information which is important, but not a part of the candidate database data must be added to the documents. In these cases the rtf output is chosen and the result is imported into MS Word for modifications.____The standard for formatting of these documents is very simple. They must be absolutely perfect. The hardcopy comes out just like the preview shows. I presume the PDF will be identical, but the rtf, is quite messy. Tab jumps in places where they don^t belong, extraneous spaces in the middle of lines, and the strange word-wrapping behaviors described in previous messages.____Is this something we can be very careful and cause to be correct or is it something over which we have no control?____

emetsky-do

Post by emetsky-do » Fri May 21, 2004 11:38 am

__The R&R RTF Export is definitely not perfect.____I suggest you try the Amyuni RTF printer driver.____They have a demo @ www.amyuni.com__