Field name changes in .csv output?

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
davidm

Field name changes in .csv output?

Post by davidm » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:09 pm

I have been successfully using an output file in .csv format and the file shows the field names on the first line. I now have a request from the company who I send these file to for very specific field names for each column, as an EDI type input might have, and the field names generated by R&R Infinity don^t match the names needed. Is there a way to force the filed names to be the ones they want?

cstrasser

=> RE: Field name changes in .csv output?

Post by cstrasser » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:17 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-13 AT 04:26 PM (EST)]There are a few ways to do this. ____The easiest is to create calculated fields with the name you need.____An alternative is to create the exact format on the page layout and export to plain text (not text data); that is, roll-your-own CSV or export format. ____Lastly, you can create a series of reports and run them in series using RapidRunner. The first report would export a dbf file with the desired field names (values stored as calculated fields) and the subsequent reports would a) export matching field data and append to the first table and b) export the entire thing at the end to a CSV text export with no headings, since the DBF would contain the full format.
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.

davidm

==> RE: Field name changes in .csv output?

Post by davidm » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks Chris,____I^ll try these methods and see how they work as an

davidm

Post by davidm » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks Chris,____I^ll try these methods and see how they work as an output file.__Should prove interesting.____david

davidm

Post by davidm » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:12 pm

Chris, the first idea worked the best. Created calculated field using the following convention: [existing field name = new field name needed]. Works like a charm. Many thanks,__david