File Already in Use

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
kfleming

=======> RE: File Already in Use

Post by kfleming » Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:18 pm

I have repeatly tried to reproduce this here but all of my reports are opening correctly. I have a shared directory on my 2000 server that contains my reports and data and am using an XP professional machine where R&R is installed locally. I have been opening and closing reports for the past 15 minutes and having nothing but success.__I am simply not configured the same way as you?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Robert_Seidman

=======> RE: File Already in Use

Post by Robert_Seidman » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:38 am

I believe the problem is the buffering on the network. Windows 2000 tries to keep previously requested information in the buffer and it can keep the user locks as well depending on the settings on the server.____We used to have a lot of problems with this and Foxpro. To see if this is the problem, open some file on the network and then close it. Have a network admin look at open files on the network and it may still show that file as open. If so, it is the buffer storing it. You may need to turn Opportunistic Locking off.____See the following area in Microsoft Help Database____Configuring Opportunistic Locking in Windows 2000 (Q296264)____Hope this helps,____John____

kfleming

========> RE: File Already in Use

Post by kfleming » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:06 pm

Thanks for providing this information. I hope that it helps the users who are experiencing this problem.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Robert_Seidman

=========> RE: File Already in Use

Post by Robert_Seidman » Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:49 am

Thank you for your help. I thought this was a very interesting solution (and on the right track). Unfortunately, it did not work. I went to the Microsoft Knowledge Base, read article 296264, and made the changes to the registry. It did not help.____Another thing I have noticed: Frequently, when I get the error message (file already open) when I look at open files on the server it shows that 2 copies of the report I am trying to open are already open. It is as if when I issue the open command, it opens 2 copies of the report, and then is unable to open the 3rd. Please keep in mind, this only happens when I open files from within the R&R Designer, and does not happen if I open the files through the Window^s Explorer.____Very frustrating. Any new insights would be greatly appreciated.____RHS

Robert_Seidman

=========> RE: File Already in Use

Post by Robert_Seidman » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:33 pm

When you open in the designer do you select the report from the MRU list or open using the File Open dialog?__Does it make any difference if you disable the Report Librarian by adding the line LIBRARIAN=OFF to the DEFAULTS section of RRW.INI?____Kathleen__R&R Support

kfleming

==========> RE: File Already in Use

Post by kfleming » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:00 pm

Setting Librarian=Off in RRW.ini has no impact.____It does not seem to make any difference whether I go to open the file from the "last opened list" on the file menu, or go through File, Open and the file list dialogue. ____In either case, when I attempt to open a big report I get the message that the file is already in use, and when I go to the server to view Open Files, I see 2 copies of the report I am trying to open.____Bad enough that one should appear to be open. Why would there be 2.____Thanks again.____RHS

Carrie

====> RE: File Already in Use

Post by Carrie » Tue May 27, 2003 3:59 pm

Unfortunately I am finding that I have the same problem opening report files with Rapid Runner. Here I get an error 76 (which seems to be the same "file already in use" error). Since reports have to added to a set through the Rapid Runner "file add", it looks like my workaround of using Windows Explorer to open R&R Files will not work, rendering Rapid Runner almost unuseable.____RHS

Robert_Seidman

=====> RE: File Already in Use

Post by Robert_Seidman » Wed May 28, 2003 10:40 am

Rapid Runner is a separate VB application so I still think that there is some setting within the OS that might be causing this.____Kathleen__R&R Support

mgeorge

=> RE: File Already in Use

Post by mgeorge » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:08 pm

Was a solution ever discovered for this problem?____We are encountering the same exact behavior and would be interested in implementing a fix.____Thanks.______Michael George