File Already in Use

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Robert_Seidman

File Already in Use

Post by Robert_Seidman » Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:02 am

I have just upgraded my operating system to Windows XP. ____I store my reports on a Window 2000 network drive. When I go to open a report I recieve a message "...RRW is being used. Do you want to make another copy?" Neither I nor anyone else is using that report.____When I go to the network, it does show that the report is in use by me. I can close it from the network computer management program, and then come back to my computer and run it.____This only happens when using XP. ____Do you have any suggestions. ____I thank you in advance for your assistance.__RHS

kfleming

=> RE: File Already in Use

Post by kfleming » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:59 pm

Are you on a Novell network?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Robert_Seidman

==> RE: File Already in Use

Post by Robert_Seidman » Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:01 pm

No - It is a Windows 2000 network.

Robert_Seidman

=> RE: File Already in Use

Post by Robert_Seidman » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:10 pm

Dear Kathleen:____Thank you for your efforts the other day. I am sorry we were unable to duplicate the problem on your machine. I am stubborn and have continued to work on this, and have made a potentially interesting discovery.____I know of 3 ways to open a report in the designer.____1. Open the designer and then open the report.__2. Open the Librarian and then open the designer and then open the report.__3. Create a shortcut on the desktop and double click on the shortcut.____Much to my surprise, if instead of loading the Report Writer first, and then opening the file, I send the file to my desktop as a shortcut, I can open it directly from the desktop.____While this may be a temporary work around, it is definitely not a solution.____Does this give you any additional insight. ____I eagerly await your response, and thank you for your kind attention.____RHS

kfleming

==> RE: File Already in Use

Post by kfleming » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:17 pm

Interesting but I am still puzzled on why you see this at all...____Kathleen__R&R Support

Robert_Seidman

===> RE: File Already in Use

Post by Robert_Seidman » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:45 am

It seems to me that the implication here is that in some configuarations there is an incompatability between the mechanism that R&R uses to open files and XP professional.____This seems to be true whether or not a file is opened in the designer using "File, Open" or choosing a previously opened report.____If instead I use the windows explorer to directly open a report, I have no problem.____Has anyone else encountered this?____RHS

iqedfiyu

===> RE: File Already in Use

Post by iqedfiyu » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:17 am

We get this too, but here^s the quirky part. At one point, my XP Pro box was the only XP in the office. I never had this problem. When we added three more XP Pro computers, the problem started, including on mine. ____One thing that I have not heard any mentionabout is saving files. We also have trouble when we try to save a file. It will give an error stating ^FAILED TO SAVE DOCUMENT^. At first, I figured it had to do with the file locking, but I can do a Save As to a new file and get it.____R&R is the heart of our business as a data publisher. Any support would be greatly appreciated.____Thank you!!____Carrie____P.S. We are running a Win 2000 server and R&R 8.1.023________>It seems to me that the implication here is that in some __>configuarations there is an incompatability between the __>mechanism that R&R uses to open files and XP professional. __>__>This seems to be true whether or not a file is opened in the __>designer using "File, Open" or choosing a previously opened __>report. __>__>If instead I use the windows explorer to directly open a __>report, I have no problem. __>__>Has anyone else encountered this? __>__>RHS ____Carrie Crain__Crain Consulting & Design

Robert_Seidman

====> RE: File Already in Use

Post by Robert_Seidman » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:12 pm

In the for what it^s worth categoy. I have had the same problem with savings (although it does seem to be intermitant).____I am afraid that I am giving up and going back to XP Home addition.____RHS

kfleming

=====> RE: File Already in Use

Post by kfleming » Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:11 pm

We are also able to consistently reproduce this problem. It only occurs on XP Pro workstations. We have a pure Microsoft network using Win2K Server. To reproduce the problem, open a report on a network drive. Close it and open another report. Close it and open the first report. It almost always happens within one try. After this, the "locked" report remains locked until we manually go to the server and unlock it. We have R&R SQL 9.0.007____John Price__DataBanque, Ltd.__jprice@databanque.com

buntubeo

======> RE: File Already in Use

Post by buntubeo » Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:58 am

Thank you.____That is the problem exactly. ____I have resorted to putting a folder that contains all of my reports onto my desktop, and then running the reports using the windows explorer. This seems to bypass (thought not solve) the problem.