Finding a Simpler Way

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Scott_Pierson_(Guest)

Finding a Simpler Way

Post by Scott_Pierson_(Guest) » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:46 pm

(RR v. 9.0 xbase)__The more reports that I build, the more that I am finding the need for a function that will give me a True-value when a condition is met for the first(and only the first)time in a report. I have no problem creating an IIF where a True-value is returned when a condition is met, but when I try to pull a True-value just for the first instance, it starts getting complicated. I^ve been doing it with two calculated fields. One IIF, once the condition is met, repeats the true-value to the end of the report. A second IIF gives a true-value only when the first IIF is true and the Previous(first IIF) is blanknum(). Here is an example:____equip........quant____shirts..........12__baseballs.......5__bats.............6__gloves.........14__shoes..........24__helmets.........6__hats............14____Calculated Field: getsix____IIF(quant=6,1,PREVIOUS(getsix))____equip........quant.....getsix____shirts..........12__baseballs.......5__bats.............6.........1__gloves.........14.........1__shoes..........24.........1__helmets.........6.........1__hats............14.........1____Calculated Field: pullfirst____IIF(getsix=1 AND PREVIOUS(getsix)=blanknum(),1,blanknum())____equip........quant.....getsix......pullfirst____shirts..........12__baseballs.......5__bats.............6.........1...............1__gloves.........14.........1__shoes..........24.........1__helmets.........6.........1__hats............14.........1______Is there a simpler way of doing this? Is is possible to do this in one field?____P.S. Is there an easy way of tabbing information in a post such as this?

kfleming

=> RE: Finding a Simpler Way

Post by kfleming » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:55 pm

Where you are trying to go with this? Do you want to be able to know that bats was the item that had the first occurence of the value 6?__Knowing where you are trying to go would help me to suggest alternatives to getting there.____Kathleen__R&R Support