Flagging First Instances

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
James_Oakley_(Guest)

Flagging First Instances

Post by James_Oakley_(Guest) » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:08 am

R&R version 9 xbase____I^m working with a simple one table database of invoice records. Is it possible to create a calculated field that will flag the first (and only the first) instance where a customer^s number appears in a field? ____I have no problem writing an IIF statement that will generate true if the customer number matches the one I^m looking for, but I can^t seem to be able to write an IIF statement where, once it does generate a true condition, it will stop looking.

kfleming

=> RE: Flagging First Instances

Post by kfleming » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:40 pm

What do you want to do based on finding the first instance?____Kathleen__R&R Support

James_Oakley_(Guest)

=> RE: Flagging First Instances

Post by James_Oakley_(Guest) » Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:11 pm

Once I am able to return a value of true for the first occurance, I will then query on that field to separate the first time each customer^s name appears from all the rest.____We are looking to build a report that will tell us the first time a customer did business with us.

pdempsey

==> RE: Flagging First Instances

Post by pdempsey » Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:59 pm

Try grouping on the customer ID and sorting on the Customer ID + transaction date (or the field the system uses to order the transactions sequentially). Use a group header as your print line so that only the first record of the group will print and don^t print any record level lines.____This is off the top of my head, but it^s the first thing I^d try.____-Pat-