HTML tags??

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Planet_DJ_(Guest)

HTML tags??

Post by Planet_DJ_(Guest) » Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:27 am

When I insert a field that contains HTML tags in it, R&R takes the first one and ignores all others.____For example, if I insert a description field from a database that contains information like this:____<b>ON SALE!</b> Check out this great item!____R&R reports back with the following IN ALL BOLD:____ON SALE!</b> Check out this great item!____Did I explain this OK? Does anyone have any advise on this?____Thank you.____Chris Whybrew__PLANET DJ__chrisw@planetdj.com__

kfleming

=> RE: HTML tags??

Post by kfleming » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:15 pm

If you have a memo field, R&R uses its own HTML like tags which are similar but not identical in that R&R tags turn on an attribute that remains in effect until the next attribute tag is encountered. So to turn off bold you use a <N> for normal rather than having an explicit end tag. Our implementation was done back in the late 1980^s and has not changed since then. It is not an attempt to be contrary but old legacy code (which some users may still rely upon.)____Kathleen__R&R Support

Planet_DJ_(Guest)

==> RE: HTML tags??

Post by Planet_DJ_(Guest) » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:17 pm

OK... is there a way to convert the HTML tags in the memo field with R&R tags when calling the field? (preferred)____Or... is there a way that I can parse out all HTML tags, so that:____"<B>ON SALE!</B> This is a great item."____becomes...____"ON SALE! This is a great item."____Thank you again for your prompt reply!____Chris__

kfleming

===> RE: HTML tags??

Post by kfleming » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:42 pm

You could only do this with the SQL version which allows you to use string functions with memo field types. But not in the Xbase version...____Kathleen__R&R Support

Jason_Wise_(Guest)

==> RE: HTML tags??

Post by Jason_Wise_(Guest) » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:08 pm

Is this the same issue that would be causing <br> tags in memo fields to be converted to blank spaces in the report output?____All of my other HTML tags seem to be coming through, is there a workaround for this specific tag or a cross-reference to the R&R tags that you had mentioned?

kfleming

===> RE: HTML tags??

Post by kfleming » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:28 pm

The rules that R&R uses for memo field formatting and codes are all detailed in the documentation in the chapter on creating form letters.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Jason_Wise_(Guest)

====> RE: HTML tags??

Post by Jason_Wise_(Guest) » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:38 am

It mentions a <r> tag for line breaks. However, we are exporting this report to a csv file. This csv file is then used to import the data into a database field that contains HTML. Is there any way I can get my <br> tag to show up or am I just limited to exporting certain HTML tags in Report Writer?

kfleming

=====> RE: HTML tags??

Post by kfleming » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:59 am

What you can do is change the <br> in your memo field to BR which tells R&R to embed a field with the name BR at that position. Then in your report create a calculated field with the expression:__^<br>^____When the report is run the BR will be substituted for the contents of the BR calc and you will get a literal <br> in your output.____Kathleen__R&R Support