How do you re-cycle through a list of records, multiple times?

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
RRExplorer

How do you re-cycle through a list of records, multiple times?

Post by RRExplorer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:38 am

Hi,____In the Xbase designer, how do you output a list of records, or maybe a list of expressions based on those values, and then re-cycle the same list and output some other expressions based on those same records?____So if you had a last name field, and you wanted a list of the first letters of the last name for all records, and then below that you wanted a list of the last letters of that last name.____I^ve done this before, but forgot how.__

Chris_Strasser_(Guest)

=> RE: How to re-cycle through a list of records, multiple times?

Post by Chris_Strasser_(Guest) » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:32 pm

I think you^re talking about a "multi-scan" report. The basic structure is a non-important master table which scans into the same related file multiple times. You^d have to give each one of the relations a different alias of course. This will cause R&R to cycle through the first relation and its calculations and then do the same thing with the second relation. You have to ensure that your calculations know which related table they^re working on so that your first-letter formula works on the first scan item and your last-letter formula works on the second scan item.____It^s an advanced concept. I hope I answered it clearly enough for you to take if from here.

RRExplorer

==> RE: How to re-cycle through a list of records, multiple times?

Post by RRExplorer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Yep, I remember now. Thanks for the refresher.