12.5 - Help problem

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
jgabuardi

12.5 - Help problem

Post by jgabuardi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:17 am

Hi there____after I install RW 12.5 each time I try to use the help like rrw.chm,rrwdev.chm, RRWRUN.chm,rsw.chm,rswdev.chm,RSWRUN.chm appear a message box with the next message "Please wait while windows configures Dell Resource CD" and then the ask for that CD!!!!____This only happend with the files I mentioned above, do not happend with any other CHM file and do not happend with version 12____Could you help me please?____Regards,____Jorge

jgabuardi

==> RE: 12.5 - Help problem

Post by jgabuardi » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:29 am

______The file for which the help ask is: RCD.MSI____Does this help???______Thank you____Jorge

kfleming

=> RE: 12.5 - Help problem

Post by kfleming » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:27 am

The help files were compiled with RoboHelp and should not have any dell dependency files. I have run them on a variety of machines but not are Dell. Maybe you should contact Dell as well as see if they have any suggestions.______Kathleen__R&R Support

Fonz

==> RE: 12.5 - Help problem

Post by Fonz » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:29 am

I have experienced a similar problem with two different software products on the one PC, where starting one product resulted in activating the setup file for other. Extensive investigation later I discovered the following :____The accounting program Timberline used some MS controls _ that apparently had the SAME GUIDs (Global Unique Identifiers) as the other, so these GUIDs weren^t quite "unique"! ____A formatted 128 bit number is known as a CLSID (Class Identifier) GUID. So if 2 controls (like OCX/ DLL) from 2 different programs use the SAME number in the registry, any "call" made by either program could cause some confusion when the program searches the registry for the path to the actual control. The problem was fixed by finding the duplicated CLSID and deleting some UNUSED registry keys that referred to this GUID. Here is a link to some more information and an extract (cut/paste) of the site: http://www.vbaccelerator.com/progid.htm ____Information copied from the above site:____"An example CLSID looks like this (this is the CLSID for the Microsoft Common Dialog control shipped with Service Pack 2 of VB5):____ {F9043C85-F6F2-101A-A3C9-08002B2F49FB} ____For example, the vbAccelerator Flat Control Extender DLL is implemented in a project named vbalFCtrl and has one Public class called cFlatControl. The ProgID is therefore:____ vbalFCtrl.cFlatControl____This information is stored in the registry like this: ____HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT__ vbalFCtl.cFlatControl__ CLSID__ (default) = "{E16E3DC5-B228-11D2-8E21-44C10AC10000}"______ CLSID__ ..__ {E16E3DC5-B228-11D2-8E21-44C10AC10000}__ InProcServer32__ (default)="C:StevemacVBDevelopFlatCtrlDLLvbalFCtl.dll"__ ThreadingModel="Apartment"__ ..______When you request an instance of the cFlatControl class, COM looks up the ProgID "vbalFCtl.cFlatControl" which gives it the GUID of the object. COM can then locate the GUID and therefore the path to the object. This is where the problem arises with two objects with the same ProgID. "____You will need to consult with DELL for further guidance as I don^t know whether you can uninstall the DELL controls.__Regards__Mark________

jgabuardi

=> RE: 12.5 - Help problem

Post by jgabuardi » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:22 pm

Thanks every body,____I resolve the problem. What I did, was to download from microsoft a program called Cleaner. That program clean installation information, then I erased the reference to the DELL Resource CD. After this the help works OK.____Regards____Jorge