Initial experiences with 10+

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Dwayne_Childers_(Guest)

Initial experiences with 10+

Post by Dwayne_Childers_(Guest) » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:38 am

__I^ve had a few issues with R&R, some of them because of unfamiliarity with version 10. I was a bigtime user of the Dos version way back, and used version 8 in an invoicing app, but for some reason have had problems with 10+.____I^m used to being able to search for and use alternatives when one method doesn^t work, and Liverware clearly made an attempt to provide several alternatives, but R&R seems to block you at every turn.____Since there were more than a couple issues, I decided to put them all into one post. ______EXPORT TO XBASE__Rapid Runner__----------------__I^m trying to export successive reports into Xbase files, which works ok from the Designer, but for the life of me I can^t automate the blasted process.____Rapidrunner does not work (for me). Anytime an Xbase Export is attempted, whether the Master Table is specified or the report default Table is used, it returns an error:____Set=c:RAPIDFILESExports.set__8/16/03 08:19 pm-08:20 pm (0:00:49) EntriesforExport (SQL) // Data Source= //__Q= // Parameters: //Output: X C:RAPIDFILESC0730.DBF !! Report could__not complete: There is no master table, so no data to export______Lack of Samples__-----------------__Not sufficient samples of Script or Control files, even though there is a thorough explanation of the commands. Software should assume that you are either stupid or dense or have a hard time ^getting it^, and help to compensate by providing loads and loads of examples.______Cannot automate, so use the Designer - NOT!__-----------------------------------------------__If you want to just give up, settle for the Designer with command line__parameters, the command line doesn^t let you specify the master database for the given data source. The Master Table, Yes.____Also, because of the GPF, and the load time for both Designers, jumping back out of and into the Designer was time-consuming.______DESIGNER__GPF, and no fix in sight __--------------------------__Doesn^t seem like many other users are having the same problem, with XP home edition, so there^s probably little chance of a resolution:____Both SQL and Xbase Designer versions return a GPF after shutting down, in XP Home Edition.____Promises, promises__---------------------__R&R Support said they would mail me a fix for some problem a week ago, but I haven^t seen anything in the mail, or received any indication of when it would arrive, or whether they received my email with the address. Maybe that wasn^t R&R Support.______Cannot change the source database within the designer__--------------------------------------------------------__The SQL Designer doesn^t seem to allow you to change the database, unless you exit and go back in, and answer the Common Dialog prompt. Maybe there^s a way, but it^s not obvious.________Cannot access Access more than once__-------------------------------------__Can^t do more than 1 join in an Access database. This appears to be a__Microsoft ODBC issue.______The Liveware website takes SOOOOOO long to load__-----------------------------------------------------__There^s no way traffic is high enough to explain why the load time is so extensive, even on a network connection.________THE GOOD NEWS__--------------__When it DOES work, and I readily accept that some of the problems are not bugs but possibly an invalid setup or something, it^s still the same R&R that I grew up with. Still easy to use, intuitive, and they haven^t abandoned native Xbase acces. I^m going to keep at it, but am not quite ready to drop my current report writer.______