2gb File limit

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Tim_Herrington_(Guest)

2gb File limit

Post by Tim_Herrington_(Guest) » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:17 am

Hi Kathleen,____Any news on the 2gb file limit issue? ____This limit is causing us and our clients major problems, as we are having to take systems down out of hours and archive data off on a monthly basis, which I am sure you will apreciate is causing major headaches for support and clients alike. We could really do with some information we can give to our clients, to ease the preasure on the ear.____Thanks for your efforts in advance____Regards____Tim____

kfleming

=> RE: 2gb File limit

Post by kfleming » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:40 am

No news.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Tim_Herrington_(Guest)

==> RE: 2gb File limit

Post by Tim_Herrington_(Guest) » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:57 am

Hi Kathleen____Well thanks for the reply, but could you expand just a little, I know these developers can be difficult to get information out of but come on, two words? Please give me something to appease my very ticked of customers.____Regards____Tim

elg

===> RE: 2gb File limit

Post by elg » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:06 am

Hello, from today (Nov 1 2006), I have the same great problem of the 2gb because one of my clients has arrived to this size. I have seen that this message is already so I will also wait the solution. __ __Greetings. __Enrique Lama

Tim_Herrington_(Guest)

=> RE: 2gb File limit

Post by Tim_Herrington_(Guest) » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:46 am

Hi Kathleen____Still waiting for some kind of answer please ?____Regards____Tim

Cliff_Wiernik

==> RE: 2gb File limit

Post by Cliff_Wiernik » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:22 pm

>Hi Kathleen __>__>Still waiting for some kind of answer please ? __>__>Regards __>__>Tim ____I am certain all the users that see this as vitally important to their business would be willing to encounter some type of cost to make this happen. Our business for one would be. We have a handfull of history files that exceed the 2 GB limit and workarounds are problematic at best.____How can we better achieve this. Infinity is of no value if enhancements are not made that users request. Solutions have a value we would be will to pay for but we need a solution.____I have a >2GB file that I can submit for testing and use that does not work with R&R, normal version or the over2GB test version you sent me.____Cliff.

kfleming

===> RE: 2gb File limit

Post by kfleming » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:04 pm

Our small but competent development staff has still not arrived at a solution to this one. If anyone is interested in looking at a extract of the code and would be willing to sign a non-disclosure argeement with us, I would be more that happy to open the code to other eyes if you think that you might be able to suggest how we might get there. We would indeed welcome any thoughts or assistance from any experienced C++ developers.____Kathleen__R&R Support__livesupport@livewarepub.com

Cliff_Wiernik

====> RE: 2gb File limit

Post by Cliff_Wiernik » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:17 am

I don^t do C++ programming but I am no help there. I can send you the test file as soon as my current rush priorities are finished.____One thing to consider is using the ADS win32 libraries to access the data. Not the new ADT format but the dbf/cdx format. That already supports up to 4 GB files and inside a clipper/xbase++ program required no programming changes at all. It however is accessing using these driver. Normal clipper/comix does not support the 2GB files.

Cliff_Wiernik

=====> RE: 2gb File limit

Post by Cliff_Wiernik » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:19 pm

Have you taken into consideration the method of locking files used in clipper for dbf files. I think they arbitrarily locked indexes at a location at position + 1GB or + 2GB, thinking that files would not be that large. This could be the source of your problems, with the index files implicit locking getting in the way of your processes.____I don^t know if the 2GB limit can be addressed on standard dbf files with std cdx indexes. ADS with cdx files, not their proprietary adt files supports 4GB files plus up to 8 GB with netware on newer versions.____Hope this information helps. We need this capability as soon as possible.