Limiting R&R access to tables

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
skb_(Guest)

Limiting R&R access to tables

Post by skb_(Guest) » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:49 pm

I have a SQL Server database that has Company A, Company B and Company C. I need to restrict certain users to only see Company A with Report Writer. The application security prevents the user from accessing the other companies but allows them to enter customers etc. for Company A. __I was thinking of creating views for them to access the data with Report Writer and I was told that I could use the data dictionary to limit the tables. Then I could at the OS level limit the data dictionary file permissions to read and execute only so the user could not change and access a table.__Can I also limit Report Writer for these users to keep them from linking to tables and from using odbc to possibly get to these tables?__This is a legal issue and they are getting a bit picky.__Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

kfleming

=> RE: Limiting R&R access to tables

Post by kfleming » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:42 am

Table access can only be controlled by the login privileges however you could use an R&R data dictionary to limit access to the fields in that table. In the dictionary you would have a record for each available field name in the table. And you can edit the dictionary and flag all of those fields as hidden. So when the user selects the table, there will be no available field names to use.__The data dictionary is a set of FoxPro tables in the RL subdirectory and you could use O/S privileges to prevent users from tampering with the tables.____Kathleen__R&R Support