Line number

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Wolfgang

Line number

Post by Wolfgang » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:41 pm

Hello,__how is it possible to create a consecutive line number in front of each record?__Example:____1 text in line 1 __2 text in line 2__3 test in line 3__Thanks for your help.__Wolfgang__

kfleming

=> RE: Line number

Post by kfleming » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:58 pm

You can use the RECNO() function to return an incremental number for each composite record or you can create a total field that is a count and place it on a band line to create a running total.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Wolfgang

==> RE: Line number

Post by Wolfgang » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:49 am

Hello Kathleen,__the function recno() shows me only the record no. How is it possible to use it at an incremental line no?__When I create a total, I have to add a field to be totaled . What fieldname do I have to add to get an incremental line no?__Thanks__Wolfgang__

Rick_Johnson_(Guest)

===> RE: Line number

Post by Rick_Johnson_(Guest) » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:22 am

Place the RECNO() value on the RECORD line. Then on the first recored it is 1, on the second record it is 2..etc.____If you use the total field approach, just count the account numbers, or some field. Do a grand total and place the total on the RECORD LINE.

Wolfgang

====> RE: Line number

Post by Wolfgang » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:30 pm

Sorry but I have still a problem__when I use the recno() and put a condition on the line, then I get no line numbers like 1,2,3,4,5. It shows only the line no from that record what meets the condition. So I get 3,6,7,8 etc. ____Total field, I make a new total field name "mline" and then unter Target/Type I mark "count of records". But at this time I can not confirm this total, I have to select a field at "field to be totaled". Only then I can can confirm the new total. Question is what field shall I select?__Wolfgang

Rick_Johnson_(Guest)

=====> RE: Line number

Post by Rick_Johnson_(Guest) » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:10 pm

Select any field that appears in every record. There must be a date, an acct number, a status, an amount, something that you are printing on every record.

Wolfgang

======> RE: Line number

Post by Wolfgang » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:55 pm

Hello,__I think I found the problem. When I use band line properties, then I have no correct line numbers, but when I use the same properties in the query, then I have what I want.__Wolfgang