Long Printer names

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
johncawley

Long Printer names

Post by johncawley » Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:30 pm

Before I spend some money on version 10 of R&R Xbase can anyone tell me if the bug regarding long printer names that was raised against version 9.0.9 has been fixed?____Regards____John Cawley__Schlumberger

kfleming

=> RE: Long Printer names

Post by kfleming » Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:33 pm

Can you refresh my memory on the specifics of this bug?__Sorry that this one is not immediately remembered by me.____Kathleen__R&R Support

johncawley

==> RE: Long Printer names

Post by johncawley » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:42 am

Yes, oddly the original posting (and your your reply) is no longer available on this forum (I^ve tried searching the archives as well).____The problem I have is with printer names in excess of 80 chars.____The applications in question use RI_WPTR to send the printer name.__To be fully Windows 2000 compliant applications must be able to handle printer names up to 220 chars. However RI_WPTR is documented as 40 characters. ____You suggested extending this field to the required amount - which works up to a point. If you extend RI_WPTR beyond 80 chars rrwrun.exe falls over in a big heap. Unfortunatley there are some of my customers who do have printer names greater than 80 chars and they aren^t too happy. Your reply stated you were raising this as a bug.____Please let me know if you require more information.____Regards,____John Cawley__Schlumberger

pdempsey

===> RE: Long Printer names

Post by pdempsey » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:35 pm

A good workaround is to use "DEFAULT" as the printer name in the ri_wptr field. That way windows handles the printer and the user can change printers just by clicking on start/settings/printers and set the default printer.____We use the dbf control file with thousands of seats and have not run across the problem. It may be because we use the default windows printer.____We also put a "Select Printer" button on the same screen as the report lists and when they select the printer, we use the windows api to set it as the default printer.____Just a thought :-)__-Pat-__-Pat-

kfleming

===> RE: Long Printer names

Post by kfleming » Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:36 am

Now I remember.__I will see if development can have another look at this now that V10 is released.__Older messages get automatically removed from the forum to make room for more recent ones which is why you (and I as well) were unable to find your earlier posting.____Kathleen__R&R Support