Network printing to shared printer

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
David_Madison_(Guest)

Network printing to shared printer

Post by David_Madison_(Guest) » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:22 pm

RR 11.03, Windows XP, local machine has a printer installed via USB port called "Slide Labels Printer", this printer is shared using Windows printer sharing. It is a Dbase app using a control table to pass parameters such as RI_WPTR.____When I print my labels to this printer from the local machine with the printer attached to it, it works fine.____When I print my labels to this shared printer from a network machine, I get an error message "Cannot match printer or port in control file" in the rr_status.dbf. The data in the control file is identical regardless of machine that originated report. The network machines have the shared printer installed with the same name "Slide Labels Printer".____I am storing a value to RI_WPTR (the name of the printer). I am not storing a value to RI_WPORT.____Any suggestions?________

kfleming

=> Network printing to shared printer

Post by kfleming » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:39 pm

Try setting RI_WPTR to a ? and see what appears in the list for the problem machine.____Kathleen__R&R Support

David_Madison_(Guest)

==> RE: Network printing

Post by David_Madison_(Guest) » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:50 pm

Hi Kathleen,____Thanks for the suggestion. The network machine printer list shows that printer as "\upstairsslide label printer". Whereas the local machine with the printer attached to it of course shows it as "slide label printer". No doubt this is the problem.____But I^m not sure to how get around this? Maybe rename the printer on the local machine to this name showing the network path, but Windows won^t let you use "" in printer names...____Any thoughts?____David

kfleming

===> RE: Network printing

Post by kfleming » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:32 pm

Does an RI_WPTR of \upstairsslide label printer work on the problem machine?____Kathleen__R&R Support

David_Madison_(Guest)

====> RE: Network printing

Post by David_Madison_(Guest) » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:22 pm

Yes, that works....____David

kfleming

=====> RE: Network printing

Post by kfleming » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:29 am

Then you would need two separate control file records, one for each printer name (even though they are the same actual device).____Kathleen__R&R Support

David_Madison_(Guest)

======> RE: Network printing

Post by David_Madison_(Guest) » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:51 pm

OK, I^ll give that approach some thought!____Thanks____David