Out in the Cold !

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
syntel

Out in the Cold !

Post by syntel » Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:12 pm

Kathleen,____ I^ve been waiting for two days for you to respond to my post regarding Closing databases using V8.1 of RRWRUN.____ Please tell me that RRWRUN is able to run a report with databases ^OPEN^. (I^ve followed *all* the rules -- including /WY in the command line and I still am forced by RRWRUN to CLOSE DATABSES before running RRWRUN or it returns immediately with ^Cannot Access .....^, etc).____ Awaiting a short answer from you.____TIA,____-Mel Smith__

kfleming

=> RE: Out in the Cold !

Post by kfleming » Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:54 am

I apologize for the delay in reply. I am currently on holiday in London and only doing reads/replies once a day.____It is my understanding that this problem occurs only with one report and only if you display it first? So the RI_PRINTER value is a D?____I know that the write switch really does work so there has got to be something else going on. Is there perhaps more that one copy of any of the files used in the report? I am wondering if this is some kind of path confusion.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Mel_Smith_(Guest)

==> RE: Out in the Cold !

Post by Mel_Smith_(Guest) » Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:53 am

Kathleen,____ Thanks for replying from far away (I^m in Mesa, Arizona and it is 07:45am on Saturday.____ My RI_PRINTER is a question Mark (?), since i want mu user select Screen/Printer/Export. When he/she/me picks ^Printer^, everything works perfectly. When ^Screen^ is picked, then the screen shows perfectly, and the ^printer^ button in Preview also works.____ It is *only* when returning from the preview via the ^black square^ close button that the hang occurs.____ There is no duplicate file involved. I access waitrun() from a ^browser^ which (admittedly) is complex (Super Browser powerful and full-featured by Manuel Mercado. I^ve also used SWPRUNCMD from Blinker. Same effect. ____ Apparently, waitrun() has some difficulty recovering to the starting program. Is there a resource problem here ??__ So, I thought that as a first step, I would leave databases open (and shared) and the browser active when I called RRWRUN.____ Alas, R&R complains bitterly about ^Cannot access ......^____Thanks for any further guidance.____-Mel Smith____

kfleming

===> RE: Out in the Cold !

Post by kfleming » Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:07 pm

What happens with an RI_PRINTER of D?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Mel_Smith_(Guest)

====> RE: Out in the Cold !

Post by Mel_Smith_(Guest) » Sun Mar 10, 2002 11:58 pm

Kathleen,____ I^ll try RI_PRINTER="D" tomorrow, and report to you on the results.____-Mel__

Mel_Smith_(Guest)

=====> RE: Out in the Cold !

Post by Mel_Smith_(Guest) » Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:59 am

Kathleen,____ RRWRUN performs perfectly when RI_PRINTER="P". That is, the waitrun()function calls RRWRUN, the report is printed, and I return thru waitrun() to my application and carry on with my ^browsing^ using super-browser with no hint of a problem.____ However, when RI_PRINTER is "D" or "?", then the report is easily, quickly, and properly displayed on the screen. When I click on the ^close^ box, rrwrun starts its close down, but a crash occurs on the ^way back^ to my app in the middle of waitrun(). That is, when waitrun() is trying to re-establish my browse, I crash (inside the TSBrowse module) but *before* I return from Waitrun()____ I guess the ^waitrun()^ sequence has to do/swap *something* in order to get my browser working.____ But *why* is screen part action of the viewer the only thing that causes the crash ?? Is it because the screen is more complex and takes more rssources ?? (I^m at the end of my knowledge here !)____Am going slowly and steadily nuts here !!!____-Mel Smith__

kfleming

======> RE: Out in the Cold !

Post by kfleming » Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:28 pm

This is not one that I have seen before.__Can you try the app on a different machine to see if it is machine specific?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Randal_Ferguson_(Guest)

=> RE: Out in the Cold !

Post by Randal_Ferguson_(Guest) » Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:14 pm

Mel,____It sounds like you are using R&R with Fivewin/Clipper. I do the same and have never had a problem printing report using .dbf^s that are already open via my Fivewin app. I don^t think it^s an R&R problem. I am also using Waitrun with a text control file. Perhaps you could show me some sample code of what you are doing.____Regards,__Randal Ferguson__________>Kathleen, __>__> I^ve been waiting for two days for you to respond to my __>post regarding Closing databases using V8.1 of RRWRUN. __>__> Please tell me that RRWRUN is able to run a report with __>databases ^OPEN^. (I^ve followed *all* the rules -- __>including /WY in the command line and I still am forced by __>RRWRUN to CLOSE DATABSES before running RRWRUN or it returns __>immediately with ^Cannot Access .....^, etc). __>__> Awaiting a short answer from you. __>__>TIA, __>__>-Mel Smith __

Mel_Smith_(Guest)

==> RE: Out in the Cold !

Post by Mel_Smith_(Guest) » Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:19 pm

To: Kathleen Fleming,____ I^ve only got one machine down here in Arizona, when I get back to Canada in two weeks I^ve got two other machines to run this test on.____To: Randal Ferguson,____ Yes, I am using Clipeer 5.2e with FW 2.1c, Blinker 5.1, waitrun(), Comix RDD (with Clipmore, *AND* TSBrowse V5.0 (Manuel Mercado).____ Before these next sequence I am in my print module (SBPRTSTK -- meaning Super Browser Print Stock List), and I have set the values in Reports.dbf to reflect my Master Database and two aliased databases. I have set RI_PRINTER to "?", etc, etc --- all the normal stuff I^ve been doing for 13 years.____ I also SAVEDBFS() (a function which saves all dbf setup info in arrays)- so that later I can retrieve all dbf info and get all dbfs opened in exactly the same way they were before closing.____ At this point I CLOSE DATABASES. I have been doing this as a matter of course over the years. Over the past three weeks I^ve been forced into a position where I would like to leave databases open.____ HOWEVER, when I access RRWRUN (thru waitrun()), RRWRUN slaps me with its standard error message: "Can^t Access database , etc, etc" and immediately returns to my app thru waitrun().____ Here^s my command line setup:____ cCmdLin := "RRWRRWRUN reports.dbf 1 /B /WY"____ nError := waitrun(cCmdlin,1) // (1 meaning normal screen viewing)____ Its in the above sequence where I crash when waitrun() is re-setting my app and returning to me. Things work perfectly if I have RI_PRINTER set to "P". However, If I use "D" or "?", then the viewer shows me the reports perfectly on the screen. When I hit the close button, RRWRUN closes the screen, then waitrun() gets control and crashes.____Puzzle, Puzzle ....____-Mel Smith____ then I call

Randal_Ferguson_(Guest)

===> RE: Out in the Cold !

Post by Randal_Ferguson_(Guest) » Wed Mar 13, 2002 1:27 pm

__> Yes, I am using Clipeer 5.2e with FW 2.1c, Blinker 5.1, __>waitrun(), Comix RDD (with Clipmore, *AND* TSBrowse V5.0 __>(Manuel Mercado). __>____What if you don^t use tsbrowse but use tcbrowse instead, does it make a difference?____> Before these next sequence I am in my print module __>(SBPRTSTK -- meaning Super Browser Print Stock List), and I __>have set the values in Reports.dbf to reflect my Master __>Database and two aliased databases. I have set RI_PRINTER to __>"?", etc, etc --- all the normal stuff I^ve been doing for __>13 years. __>__> I also SAVEDBFS() (a function which saves all dbf setup __>info in arrays)- so that later I can retrieve all dbf info __>and get all dbfs opened in exactly the same way they were __>before closing. __>__> At this point I CLOSE DATABASES. I have been doing this __>as a matter of course over the years. Over the past three __>weeks I^ve been forced into a position where I would like to __>leave databases open. __>__> HOWEVER, when I access RRWRUN (thru waitrun()), RRWRUN __>slaps me with its standard error message: "Can^t Access __>database , etc, etc" and immediately returns to my app thru __>waitrun(). __>__> Here^s my command line setup: __>__> cCmdLin := "RRWRRWRUN reports.dbf 1 /B /WY" __>__> nError := waitrun(cCmdlin,1) // (1 meaning normal __>screen viewing) __>__> Its in the above sequence where I crash when waitrun() is __>re-setting my app and returning to me. Things work perfectly __>if I have RI_PRINTER set to "P". However, If I use "D" or __>"?", then the viewer shows me the reports perfectly on the __>screen. When I hit the close button, RRWRUN closes the __>screen, then waitrun() gets control and crashes. __>__>Puzzle, Puzzle .... __>____Are the tables being opened in shared mode? What error msg are you getting when the program crashes in WaitRun?____Randal____