Out of space

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest)

Out of space

Post by FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest) » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:39 pm

I get an ODBC error that says "not enough space on temporary disk"__I have a master linked one to many. There are 85,000 records in the master and 10,238,456 in the linked table. Usinf R&R SQL 12. ____Everything is run off C: and I have 150 GB of free space. What is happening?____thanks__Fred Emmerich

cstrasser

=> RE: Out of space

Post by cstrasser » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:47 pm

It depends on the number of records that are being generated by the resultset. If you were doing a cross-join, then your 85K X 10,000K would result in a temporary table would have 850 billion records and would probably blow through any sub-terabyte drive.____I^m sure that your resultset isn^t that extreme, but depending on the execution plan, your ODBC driver and database may be working very ineffeciently.____Can you work with smaller subsets of the data?
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.

FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest)

==> RE: Out of space

Post by FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest) » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:15 pm

I am totalling the linked records for every master record, so subsetting might be a problem. ____Where is the temp file being created? I am watching my C drive and its free space never changes when I run my report. ____thanks__Fred Emmerich

FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest)

=> RE: Out of space

Post by FRED_EMMERICH_(Guest) » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Is R&R creating temporary tables in my .mdb? If so, hitting the 2GB limit is very possible. The error makes it sound like it is a problem external to the .mdb.____thanks__Fred Emmerich

cstrasser

==> RE: Out of space

Post by cstrasser » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:18 pm

R&R isn^t creating temporary files in your MDB, but it^s certainly possible that the ODBC driver working with Access is creating internal scratch data within the MDB.
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.