Picture Property Size Problem

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Derran

Picture Property Size Problem

Post by Derran » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:42 pm

I have a report that the end user changes the saved image by adding their logo. It works fine except the picture will not maintain the correct size in the saved report. It looks HORRIBLE! ____Any ideas?____P.S. Also the size of the picture in the report is bigger than the size of the BMP created in MS PhotoDraw.____I create 1" x .5" in PhotoDraw. In the report the original size is 1.25" x 0.83."

kfleming

=> RE: Picture Property Size Problem

Post by kfleming » Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:50 pm

Is your unit of measure in inches or centimeters?__Metric settings do cause a problem.__Have you changed your rulers while the report was open? Changing the ruler will indeed change how the image displays.______Kathleen__R&R Support

Derran

==> RE: Picture Property Size Problem

Post by Derran » Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:18 pm

No changes in Regional settings and no changes to ruler settings.

Derran

==> RE: Picture Property Size Problem

Post by Derran » Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:09 pm

Another user "Mircea" reported the same problem as myself. Any ideas yet? ____Derran__ __ __

kfleming

===> RE: Picture Property Size Problem

Post by kfleming » Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:44 am

Here is what I suggested to Mircea:____Try adjusting the horizontal ruler pitch from 30 down to 15.__Note that as you change the ruler pitch the preview/display of the image changes as well.__The other factor that can influence image size is whether snap to grid has been enabled or disabled.__ __The routines used within R&R to display images are from a third party vendor and the programmers who did most of the work in this product area are not currently part of our staff so I have only empirical knowledge the workings of this product area.__ __The general rule of thumb in designing with R&R when you run into WYSIWYG discrepancies is to adjust the layout so that it may look incorrect but will in turn produce the desired result.__ __Sorry that I do not have more detailed information.__ ______Kathleen__R&R Support

Dan_Flynn_(Guest)

====> RE: Picture Property Size Problem

Post by Dan_Flynn_(Guest) » Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:01 pm

I have had the same problems with graphics on reports, i.e. logo of customers. I have found the following to work in most cases.____1. Convert all bmp formats to gif format. This gives smaller file size.__2. Scale the original to fit size of graphic on form. If the original graphic is 1"w x .5h inches then the graphic on the form needs to be 1"w x.5h" inches or scaled to match. For example if the original is 3" x 1" and the report graphic size is 1" x .5" you will need to scale the original down to match the size on the report form. What I do is determine the scaling requirements by the ration of the graphic vs the original as follows:____graphic_length/graphic_height = original_length/original_height, this gives for the example 1"/.5" = 3"/x solving for x becomes 1.5" or the height that the original has to be to be scaled to the saved graphic size. (Of course you can adjust the height and leave the width constant). Now take the original and save out as bmp format. Open the Paintbrush software and resize the image to be 3" x 1.5". Add the white space around the image and center the image. Save this image. Now you want to resize the image to 1"x.5 inches or the graphic size saved with the report. You can resize the graphic in Paintbrush. In order to keep the file size small, Use a drawing software to save the file as a gif format.____With this method, almost any image can be displayed with quality results. By scaling the image in this way your results are always predictable.__Let me know if this helps.____Dan__

Derran

====> RE: Picture Property Size Problem

Post by Derran » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:37 pm

Thanks Dan, I hoping Liveware fixes this in v10.____Derran.

Derran

=====> RE: Picture Property Size Problem

Post by Derran » Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:53 pm

Thanks Kathleen, ____This really needs to be fixed in release 10. Presentation is as important to me as the data itself. The data part of R&R is perfect for my needs, but presentation lags way behind! Most of my enhancement requests deal with presentation and making it simpler to achieve.____I hate SQL and that^s the primary reason why I have not jumped to Crystal Reports yet. But to be perfectly honest, CR way outshines R&R in presentation. I would be extremely pleased to see R&R achieve this same level of quality.____Derran.____FWIW: I_ve been loyal to R&R since version 3.__

pdempsey

=====> RE: Picture Property Size Problem

Post by pdempsey » Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:38 pm

This resizing problem has been in the system since the first Windows Version. It worked fine in DOS. We used to provide a blank file called LOGO.BMP and a user could just replace LOGO.BMP with their own logo and it resized great. When we switched to Windows, the resizing went away and it became a problem. Since most logos have different aspect ratios, just providing a fixed size of graphic is not really a solution. I just stopped using any graphics that could be user defined except for custom reports.____Kathleen, you may remember just after the sale of Concentric, I reported it, and you tested that and confirmed the problem.____I hope it gets some priority for getting fixed or enhanced.____Pat__