Picture properties

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
eirahosuto

Picture properties

Post by eirahosuto » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:24 am

I have a report with a Picture field, it displays a jpg image from a directory of image files.____The Picture field properties show choices for Scaling of Zoom(retain shape), Crop, and Stretch. I have Zoom selected. But the images always__display stretched to fill the box. For instance, the shape of the Picture field is square, but the horizontal images are squished down to fill the square rather than appearing as a horizontal with white space above and below to fill square. Same with the verticals, they are squished to fill the square. ____This behavior seems contrary to the Zoom (retain shape) setting.____Am I misunderstanding this setting? Suggestions?____RR 12.5.001 on Windows 7 Pro____David Madison

cstrasser

=> RE: Picture properties

Post by cstrasser » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:57 am

Our definitions are:____zoom__Retains aspect ratio of object being displayed to fit the smallest dimension of the picture element. So if you had an image that was 100 x 100 and stretched it to 50 x 100, it would resize to 50 x 50. Because the blank.bmp we use as the master is square, dimensions are retained within that geometry.____stretch__Allows you to resize the image in two dimensions. Does not retain aspect ratio, so you can distort your picture if desired. The image will fill the borders of the container.____crop__With variable graphics, this behaves the same as stretch. With static graphic images, it uses the original image and displays only that portion (starting from the upper-left-hand corner of the picture) that is revealed by a rectangle of the size defined.
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.

David_Madison_(Guest)

==> RE: Picture properties

Post by David_Madison_(Guest) » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:32 am

My images are all a good bit larger than the box on the form; a typical image might be 1200 pixels wide and 800 pixels high for a horizontal aspect ratio image; versa for a vertical aspect ration image.____The zoom option seems to stuff these down to fill the box, rather than retaining the overall aspect ration when downsizing.____Is this the expected behavior in dealing with images larger than the box on the report? ____

cstrasser

===> RE: Picture properties

Post by cstrasser » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:19 am

"Zoom" with variable graphics retains the shape of the blank.bmp template image. By default, this is a white square 32 x 32 pixels.____If you change the dimensions of this bmp to be the ratio that you want, all your pictures will be dropped into that shape. For instance, I stretched the blank.bmp to be 32 x 77 and saved it as blank.bmp (renaming the old one). All my graphics from that point were defaulted to fit in the long rectangle.____I can see that the eventual goal is to allow multiple blank.bmp files so that images with varying ratios can be displayed properly. This would most likely be handled by having each graphic be displayed on a conditional line.
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.

David_Madison_(Guest)

====> RE: Picture properties

Post by David_Madison_(Guest) » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Ok, thank you. Now I understand the intended behavior. 1____And yes%2