Accounting reconciliation

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
hepinstall

Accounting reconciliation

Post by hepinstall » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:05 pm

We are an insurance agency with a database that contains customer transactions, and we want to reconcile it with a monthly statement spreadsheet provided by an insurance company. I have tried to write a report to identify the differences between the two statements.____The problem is that the insurance company list doesn^t have an index. There is no unique field. There may be multiple transactions for each policy number, and the insurance company identifies the policy only by the policy number. Worse yet, one policy number can represent two or more policies (home and auto), both with transactions during the reporting period. In our database, each of these policy sections has a unique identifier, but in the other list there is nothing to distinguish them. For a policy with two transactions in May, the report returns four records: the two in our system times the two in the statement. ____Can I use R&R to compare and contrast these two sets of data? If so, what^s the magic step that I^m missing? Thank you.

kfleming

=> RE: Accounting reconciliation

Post by kfleming » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:03 pm

To do a comparison there has to be some common element so that we know what belongs with what.__Can you explain the scenario with a specific example of the data that needs to be compared?____Kathleen__R&R Support