Preserving carriage returns

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
wtmh

Preserving carriage returns

Post by wtmh » Wed May 16, 2012 9:54 am

Greetings,____I^m having an issue with preserving the carriage returns in my reports on one of my machines. What I find interesting, is that I have about 40 workstations, and 39/40 of them are displaying line breaking the carriage returns just like I want. But just one machine is being a pain for me and is not displaying carriage returns and is instead just word wrapping everything.____I^ve checked everything I can think of and I^m out of ideas.____Any helps would be most appreciated.____Regards.

wtmh

=> RE: Preserving carriage returns

Post by wtmh » Fri May 18, 2012 9:12 am

Anyone? :

wtmh

Anyone? ____I^m just curious if there is a setting or something similar I should check.

wtmh

test

cstrasser

==> RE: Preserving carriage returns

Post by cstrasser » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:38 am

These sorts of issues are extremely hard to figure out offsite. There must be something different about the configuration on the 40th system that^s different from the others:____OS patch level__R&R version / previous version installations__Drive mappings__Printer driver version and / or property settings__Group Policy settings__Spooler version / settings__Virus protection brand / version__Firewall settings____If every workstation uses its own copy of the report, you might be exporting to a different format with alternative settings. Or the printer that the report is defined against might be different.____I^m sorry that I can^t be more help, but there are so many variables that it^s not possible to pinpoint something specific on one machine.____
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.

wtmh

===> RE: Preserving carriage returns

Post by wtmh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:35 am

I found the solution. In the interest of anyone else encountering this issue I^m posting again.____I^m a little disappointed in myself and Liveware in our collective failure to RTFM and identify a setting that turned out to be in the user^s manual found here: http://www.livewarepub.com/pdf/SQL_V12_User_Guide.pdf____The answer to my question was a setting controlling the preservation of carriage returns that is inside rsw.ini. Specifically: ____[SPECIAL]__AsciiEditor=0____That setting, as indicated in the manual (And nearly verbatim to my initial question) does the following: "1 <NL> converted to pace;2 or more consecutive <NL> chars will be preserved."____The problem was the rsw.ini file containing the setting was being read from the wrong place. Once I replaced the rsw.ini in the %appdata%Liveware Publishing folder everything began to work correctly.____Regards.