Active-X viewer file.

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
wfm050

Active-X viewer file.

Post by wfm050 » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:59 pm

I tried this along with the Send via Mapi. I sent the message to myself and when I clicked on the .html link in the email, the resulting report control in my browser looked and worked great.____I then sent it to another individual, but when he tried to view it, he apparently is missing something on his machine.____What files,steps do I need to take to distribute to users what is needed to view reports sent via the Export to Active-X option?____Thanks,__Bill__

kfleming

=> RE: Active-X viewer file.

Post by kfleming » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:59 am

To view ActiveX files, the user needs RRPRVIEW.CAB to be downloaded and installed on their machine as a downloaded project object in IE.____Kathleen__R&R Support

wfm050

==> RE: Active-X viewer file.

Post by wfm050 » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:31 am

Kathleen,____Thanks for the info. I did try sending the message again as the active-x export. This time I forwarded it to an associate after attaching as a third file the RRPRVIEW.CAB file. When he got it and clicked on the RRPRVIEW.CAB, his IE asked if he would like to install this component. He told it yes, but nothing appeared to happen. Then when he clicked the .html attachment, the control was shown in the window but he got an error saying "Unable to read report data file."____Any ideas of what I may be missing or not doing correctly. If this is in the documentation, please feel free to point me there.____Thanks,__Bill____

kfleming

===> RE: Active-X viewer file.

Post by kfleming » Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:27 pm

Did you send the user the actual PDI file (that has the contents of the report) as well as the HTML container (that has a pointer to the PDI and a pointer to the CAB file?______Kathleen__R&R Support

wfm050

====> RE: Active-X viewer file.

Post by wfm050 » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:18 pm

Yes, I sent it through the "Send Via Mapi" option in R&R. R&R created an email that had two files; a .html file (735 bytes) and a .pdi file (52Kbytes). On my machine where R&R is installed, I can send the email to myself and see the contents fine in the Active-X conrol, however, when I send this same email including manually attaching the RRPRVIEW.CAB file, it appears to be having a problem. The other user can see in his IE window the R&R container for the report, but the data is not displaying.____Thanks,__Bill__

kfleming

=====> RE: Active-X viewer file.

Post by kfleming » Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:05 pm

Have the user access the URL http://64.78.63.92/rr-rept/rr-pages/xpdrun.asp?rep=AddrVerifs.RRW&emp=&uid=____If the R&R control is not on his machine, this page will prompt for download.______Kathleen__R&R Support

wfm050

======> RE: Active-X viewer file.

Post by wfm050 » Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:02 pm

I tried your suggestion, and he was able to see the report on your website with data in the container. However, I resent my email, and he got the same message about not being able to read the data file.____I looked at the underlying html code that comprised the email and found that there were several references including one to a .pdi file. The path for this file does not make sense for the recipient of my message since his machine does not have access to the same resources as mine. How do I go about telling the HTML message where the .pdi file is going to reside on his machine not knowing necessarily what type of email package he uses [which generally stores the attachments such as the .pdi file] in a location not known in advance by myself. I am guessing this is why I get on his machine the "Cannot read data file" type error.____Thanks,__Bill__