Print to PDF from app is OK but from RRWRUN is NG

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
LGM

Print to PDF from app is OK but from RRWRUN is NG

Post by LGM » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Hello,____My reports to pdf run fine when executed from within R&R and the resulting PDF is fine.____When I try to run them via the runtime executable, they appear to run a-ok (I can see this via the ri_status=T setting) all they way through to the end where I see ^Printing to Adobe PDF on File^.____The job completes with no error indication but the resulting pdf is zero bytes and when I click on the file I get a Acrobat error that says it is either an unsupported file type or the file has been damaged.____Any ideas?____Thanks.

cstrasser

=> RE: Print to PDF from app is OK but from RRWRUN is NG

Post by cstrasser » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:07 pm

If you use most distillers, when you print to a PDF from the runtime and specify an output file, you^re not actually getting a PDF. What R&R makes is a PostScript file.____The exception is the Amyuni http://www.amyuni.com/en/enduser/pdfcreatorend/ converter, which is the one we used to include with R&R before they told us we were violating their licensing (since R&R runtime components can be freely distributed by developers, but not their software).____You can see that this is the case by using the designer and printing a PDF using the Adobe PDF printer and selecting "Print to File." The file you create can be viewed in Notepad and it will be a PostScript file.____This file can be fed into the distiller and turned into a PDF.____I^m not sure why you^re seeing a 0 byte file, but you should try different settings. I^ve gotten it to work for various clients, so unless there^s some rights issue, it should be possible.
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.