Printing Problems with XP

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Carrie

Printing Problems with XP

Post by Carrie » Tue Jan 22, 2002 6:51 pm

This may not be a 100% R&R question, but is does involve R&R and Rapid Runner.____We just installed our first Windows XP workstation on a 20-user network. Most everything is okay, except for one thing: Printer Names____With XP, the printers are named with the network path. For example: \serverprinter. With 98, they were referenced by the name in the printers folder.____This doesn^t sound like much of a problem for most, but we have scripting agents that call Rapid Runner sets and need to call certain printers. The way it stands now, none of the scripts will run in the XP box because it can^t find the printer. When I setup the printers, I made sure that the name in the printers folder is the formatted the same as the others, which worked perfectly in Win 98. I can change the printer calls in Rapid Runner, but now I face having duplicate copies of all the sets just to have a working copy for XP or formatting the PC and going back to 98.____Since it won^t find the printer, is there a way to make XP reference the printers by the name given them in the printers folder? Or, if we can^t change the way XP references a printer, can we make Win 98 look for the full network path?____Please help! If there isn^t a way around this, we^ll have to go back to Win 98, and while it^s still my preferred OS, I feel we need to move forward and not become stagnant.____Any help would be greatly appreciated.____Carrie Crain____Crain Consulting & Design__Carrie Crain____Crain Consulting & Design