Printing a transaction # on report

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
rundmv

Printing a transaction # on report

Post by rundmv » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:25 pm

I have a key field built from date/time, in the format of yyyymmddhhmmssff. I need to use this value to determine the transaction number (1 through total # of records). This is easily accomplished if the report is sorted by the key field. However, I need to sort it by a completely different field, and still print this transaction number for each record. Any ideas?

kfleming

=> Printing a transaction # on report

Post by kfleming » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Sort by the key, export the report to DBF and then use that DBF for the next report. That way the field is hard coded rather than derived.____Kathleen__R&R Support

mike

==> Printing a transaction # on report

Post by mike » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:04 pm

That works here. However, I^m designing this for a Clippeship user and I wouldn^t be able to change the master table on the 2nd report to use the exported dbf. Clippership overrides the master table with the history file that the user selects before printing the report. I can create this transaction # while they are processing and store it in the history file as it is created. But I^d rather not do that (modify their code) if there^s a way to calculate it with Report Writer. So, is there another way to accomplish this?