Printing to different paper trays

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
DaSe

Printing to different paper trays

Post by DaSe » Thu May 27, 2010 9:58 pm

One of our customers want to print to different trays.__For this reason he added a printer, with a different name, for each tray.____In our application he selects the right printer, which is send to the runtime (RRWRUN.EXE) via the field RI_WPTR in the control table.____Despite this procedure, the output is always printed to the first tray. __When printing the settings of the tray on the printer as changed to ^auto^.____- Does it matter which "Source" is selected (and saved) during design on the form "Page Setup" (via menu ^File^ => ^Page Setup^) ?__- Or are there other settings we have to look at ?__- Will upgrade from v10 to v12.5 give a solution ?____Thanks in advance.____Danny__

kfleming

=> Printing to different paper trays

Post by kfleming » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Even in the latest 12.5 release, there is not a runtime option to select a paper tray.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Jeff_(Guest)

==> Printing to different paper trays

Post by Jeff_(Guest) » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:50 pm

>Even in the latest 12.5 release, there is not a runtime __>option to select a paper tray. __>____This is a major short coming of R&R and should be addressed and resolved soon.

DaSe

==> RE: Printing to different trays

Post by DaSe » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Our customer made 4 different printers in Windows, each with a specific setting for each tray. This is done because we can not send trays through the the runtime.____From our application they select the desired printer (and indirectly the tray), but at printing time the printer is switching to ^automatic^ and the output is printed from a wrong tray.____I do not really have a problem with the fact there is no tray selection option, but then the ^multiple printer^-solution should work.____- Is the runtime (RRWRUN.EXE) sending something that overrules the Windows-setting (automatic instead of the selected tray) ?__- Are there known workarounds for this (rather urgent) problem ?____Thanks in advance.____Danny__

kfleming

===> RE: Printing to different trays

Post by kfleming » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Do other applications use the default tray that has been set up for these printers?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Coreyneolo

====> RE: Printing to different trays

Post by Coreyneolo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:12 pm

I asked for tray options functionality about 4 years ago! However I came up with my own workaround as multiple printers was not an option (office space). Therefore, I print all my reports to a pdf file with the tray number specified in the control table record. Then within my application, I open the pdf and change the bit that sets the printer tray in the pdf binary file and then re-save it. The pdf report is then printed from the correct tray.____This functionality was attained by using a paid-for version of Amyuni PDF Creator. You need to learn a few commands in this package (not difficult). It uses the Visual Basic language. I program in Delphi so used the OCX plugin without a problem.____The solution has been working satisfactorily ever since :-)

kfleming

=====> RE: Printing to different trays

Post by kfleming » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:19 pm

That is a terrific solution!____Kathleen__R&R Support