Anyone have a Front End for R&R?

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Tom_Mills

Anyone have a Front End for R&R?

Post by Tom_Mills » Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:44 pm

R&R desperately needs a runtime front end that allows the report writer to prompt the user for input (for example to filter the report) and that allows the user to select from a list of choices.____For example if you have a report of auto parts, the user should see a list of Cars, and then he selects Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler from the list. ____That list should be drawn from a data table so that when the data changes the list changes.____I suggested this to Liveware previously but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. ____If someone has such a front-end, my organization would be willing to purchase it and/or pay you to modify it to meet our needs if the price was reasonable.__________

freitas

=> Front End for R&R?

Post by freitas » Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:48 am

All you have to do is put a ? in the ri_filter field and you will be given a fairly simple query response screen.____If you would like to have a customized reporting system, then I would suggest using a front-end like Visual dBase, FoxPro or some other database system.____I can certainly create such a system for you, but I would have to know exactly what it is that you are looking for before I could quote you a price.____My e-mail address is freitas@railsoft.com

Tom_Mills

==> RE: Front End for R&R?

Post by Tom_Mills » Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:55 am

The ? mark prompt only allows for text entry. A sophisticated reporting system would allow users to choose their choices (when appropriate) from a drop down list of choices.____Yes, I do think a VB front end is what^s required. I may e-mail you.____Thanks.

Nick

===> RE: Front End for R&R?

Post by Nick » Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:33 pm

just a small observation - - -__one of the primary uses of RR reporting software is to substitute for the weak reporting functions in Microsoft Visual Foxpro - including the latest versions....__the result is that there are literally thousands of "front-end" applications written in VFP out there running with the RR runtime as the report engine.__

pdempsey

===> RE: Front End for R&R?

Post by pdempsey » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:13 am

We have a front end written in VFP, but only for our application. You can combine the "?" in RI_Query mentioned above with a customized data dictionary that shows the field descriptions and have a nice query by example type of system. Otherwise, you need to write your own front end in one of the development tools.____Ours writes out tempory files containing keys to let R&R go back into the data files and build the composite records. With this approach, it only takes about a second or 2 before R&R shows the first page of the report. Visual Fox does all of the filtering work.

Mark_Fonseca_(Guest)

=> RE:Any Front End for R&R?

Post by Mark_Fonseca_(Guest) » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:48 am

I have a commercial application front end specifically designed to run any one of Crystal V7,8 / R & R SQL V7,8,8.1 / Access 97 reports. It is called Report Wiz and has some very unique features.____You can use it to provide a blanket of security over what a User can run, which report, where the reports are stored on the network, etc. Each report is initially set up by an Administrator with all the required report running defaults ie Filters, Parameter prompts, Report names, Desired Network printer or Export and the report is assigned to a report group.____It can then be used to run immediately (defaults can be changed at run time) or scheduled. The scheduler can schedule report frequency based on "Daily, weekly, weekends, quarterly/ Monthly Annually" etc , while parameters can be passed "silently" to any of the report writers by means of pre-stored values. Where the report is based on the date, the ^set and forget^ option allows you to store a Date Parameter as follows:__FROM DATE = ^Yesterday^ TO DATE = ^Today^. The program will re-calculate the date range just prior to commencement of the scheduled run. Export Filenames can also have variable dynamic filename incorporating some Text a Date in multiple formats a File extension. __eg: MYREPORT Today {Format mmddyyyy} ".TXT" __So the filename exported on 01/28/2003 would be "myreport01282003.txt". If the export is run daily , this would change each day and preserve the day^s file. There are literally too many features to describe here... so if you are interested, I can email you some info and pricing details.____mailto: mfonseca@3000ad.com.au__I have been using R & R from V3 DOS days with Dbase apps and more recently with a lot of big Btrieve/Pervasive SQL databases with GBs of data__Cheers__Mark Fonseca______