R&R crashes - Print Preview

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Terry_Carter

R&R crashes - Print Preview

Post by Terry_Carter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:43 pm

When printing from print preview R&R crashes whereas printing direct works ok. The report is using one table only and this has 1912860 records. Environment is SQL2008R2, R&R12.5.001, the report uses parameters for the filter.

cstrasser

=> RE: R&R crashes - Print Preview

Post by cstrasser » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:45 pm

I^m glad to see you^re able to post, finally!____Does the crash occur right away or at some point in the process? Can you print a single page? Can you page through the preview window?____
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.

Terry_Carter

==> RE: R&R crashes - Print Preview

Post by Terry_Carter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:56 pm

response from the customer____As soon as you hit the print it crashes. The report is only one page so it is not possible to page through the preview window.

Yolandapaich

=> RE: R&R crashes - Print Preview

Post by Yolandapaich » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:44 am

I worked up a test system that had millions of records on the same structure that your crashing report used. I also had the same issue, where R&R would crash when going to print from the preview window.____I found two workarounds:__1. Use the individual page print icon instead of the printer icon. The individual page icon just sends the printer codes necessary to generate the page and not the underlying data. This worked fine for me.____2. Your report uses date parameters that you compare to date values in your data table that have been created with the ToDate() function in R&R. The originals are datetimes. Because of this conversion, SQL Server must return all ~2 million records so they can be processed within the report.____What I did instead is take your parameters, convert them to text and then append a character time "12:00:00 AM" and run that through a CTDT() function to generate a datetime value. This datetime is compared directly to the datetime fields in the table. The benefit here is that SQL Server is able to handle the bulk of the work on its side and sends you back a much reduced record set that doesn^t crash. The performance is also increased by a factor of 20 (on my system).____***__I^m still analyzing what actually happens in the code when R&R errors out here. The underlying cause seems to be a date conversion that fails and causes a memory error. Unfortunately, this conversion takes place in a module that the original developers of R&R licensed from a company 20+ years ago and they^ve lost the source code (they^re still in business: Progress DataDirect).

cstrasser

===> RE: R&R crashes - Print Preview

Post by cstrasser » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:41 am

I used to have this problem whenever MS Outlook was open. If I were to close it, R&R print preview would work.
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.