R&R with Vista

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Nick

R&R with Vista

Post by Nick » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:11 pm

I^ve experienced a mixed bag with Windows Vista RC1 and R&R during the process of testing and modifying applications that are shipped with the R&R runtime for compatibility.____The R&R runtime 8.1 which has been very stable and reliable and contains the necessary feature set for our reports seems to have issues with Vista. When I run a report and then Click the VCR controls to advance a page the report closes instead of advancing.____So, my next step was to see if Infinity^s runtime would work, but when trying to install Infinity I get the following message____"Setup is unable to run a program need to proceed with the installation. Restart your system and try again. Error 105."____This occurs at 41% progress in Installshield. When I click OK, I get another message which is a system error that says NTVDM encountered a hard error - Close or Ignore.____I realize that Vista is a couple months away, and I am sure many business users will avoid it as long as possible, but it will not be long before end user machines have it preinstalled and Vista compatibility will become essential for software publisher. The lack of it, I am afraid will result in support nightmares at a minimum and in time, lost business and unsatisfied customers.____So, I am hoping that the Liveware tech team can provide some information to us related to your experiences and possible workarounds related to Vista and your activities regarding Infinity^s compatibility with Vista.____Thanks in advance.

kfleming

=> RE: R&R with Vista

Post by kfleming » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:06 am

We will have a Vista install for R&R available once Vista is an official shipping product. We would rather wait for Microsoft to release first.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Nick

==> RE: R&R with Vista

Post by Nick » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:54 am

That is understandable.____Since Vista is going to enforce some new restrictions on Limited Users and MSFT is pushing all IT managers to go to the Limited User Account, it would be really helpful if Liveware would publish some Vista considerations for developers that deploy the runtime, based on your knowledge and experience with Vista.____A couple suggestions as examples ...____1. Deploying the runtime exe in Vista based on a Limited User Account - considerations and best practices____2. Comparison of the merits and approaches for DLL vs EXE for end user deployments of the R&R runtime under the Vista Limited User Account model____Thanks__Nick______