RI_PAGESIZE

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Mike_Wilcock_(Guest)

RI_PAGESIZE

Post by Mike_Wilcock_(Guest) » Tue May 13, 2003 1:51 pm

Hi,____I am currently in the process of converting our Clippers apps R&R 5.0 reports to version 10 and my question is this.____Many of our customers need to print on both letter and A4 paper I can do this by having two different reports with different paper sizes but obviously would rather have just one as we have a large number of reports. Ideally R&R would just default to the pagesize set in the printer drivers params, but what is set in the report seems to overide these settings. Have I missed something?____I have noticed the RI_PAGESIZE parameter in the documentation and thought that this would be the answer, however this parameter is 11 chars long and therefor exceeds the maximum field size of rrwrunin.dbf which is 10 chars. Is this a mistake or is there a better way of doing this?____Any help would be appreciated.____Thanks,____Mike

kfleming

=> RE: RI_PAGESIZE

Post by kfleming » Tue May 13, 2003 3:51 pm

You can increase the size of this field in the control file table.____Kathleen__R&R Support

Mike_Wilcock_(Guest)

==> RE: RI_PAGESIZE

Post by Mike_Wilcock_(Guest) » Wed May 14, 2003 1:27 pm

Dear Kathleen,____Many thanks for your reply.____In Clipper, and I guess all other Xbase file systems, the maximum permissable width of a single "field name" is a maximum of 10 characters. Note: I am refering to the NAME of the the field, not it^s contents, IOW, the .DBF table definition itself.____This means that we can only only define the field RI_PAGESIZE in RRWRUNIN.DBF as RI_PAGESIZ - note: the "E" has to be truncated because RI_PAGESIZE is 11 characters wide.____When we use the field RI_PAGESIZ (note: no "E")the runtime seems to ignore the value stored in the field.____Can you please advise me. Many thanks in advance.____Best regards,____Mike______________________

kfleming

===> RE: RI_PAGESIZE

Post by kfleming » Wed May 14, 2003 1:57 pm

Now I see what you mean.____Can you alternatively use a text control file for this report?____Kathleen__R&R Support

Mike_Wilcock_(Guest)

====> RE: RI_PAGESIZE

Post by Mike_Wilcock_(Guest) » Mon May 19, 2003 12:23 pm

Dear Kathleen,____Hi and many thanks for the reply.____>Now I see what you mean. __>__>Can you alternatively use a text control file for this __>report? ____In a word, no. We don^t want to compromise our software architecture just for this. Are we correct in assuming that the runtime is evaluating names longer than 10 bytes wide? ____Many thanks in advance.____best regards,____Mike__________

kfleming

=====> RE: RI_PAGESIZE

Post by kfleming » Mon May 19, 2003 8:59 pm

The name length selection was an oversight on our part.__Tables within Foxpro databases can have >10 character field names as can most SQL platforms. But not within traditional DBF file structures. For now the only workaround would be to use a text control file for those reports where you need to change the saved page size. ____Kathleen__R&R Support

pdempsey

======> RE: RI_PAGESIZE

Post by pdempsey » Tue May 20, 2003 2:45 am

When you get back into that area, please set up an RI_LEFT and RI_RIGHT for margin control as going from Letter to A4 will cause the report to be off center unless at least the left margin can be reset.____-Pat-