RR Upgrade

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
alaggio

RR Upgrade

Post by alaggio » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:14 am

Kathleen,____hi!____I use RR 9.0 and I^m thinking about making an upgrade to RR Infinity. __I^d like to ask you the following:____1. I have a lot of reports developed with RR 6.0 (DOS), using DBF, FPT and CDX files. Can I convert them to RR Infinity?____2. I^m planning to use Advantage Database Server, still using DBF,FPT and CDX files. ADS provides an ODBC driver to others applications to access it. __Can I use this ODBC driver to access the files with RR Infinity? In other words, I^d like to convert all the RP1 reports (RR 6.0 DOS) to RR Infinity, using the ADS ODBC driver to access the data stored in ADS Server. There are about 300 reports!!!__Is it possible?____Thanks in advance.____Regards.____

kfleming

=> RE: RR Upgrade

Post by kfleming » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:16 am

You can use DOS reports with the Infinity version. If you use ODBC to connect to Advantage, you will be adding a extra ODBC/SQL layer to get to the data and will need to use the rules of SQL to create reports.__I would recommend using the Xbase version to go straight to the Advantage tables.____Kathleen__R&R Support

alaggio

==> RE: RR Upgrade

Post by alaggio » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:27 pm

Kathleen,____thanks for your answer.____Thinking about your suggestion (use xbase version), how can I use it since the dbf files is hidden by the ADS Server? See, one of the goals of using ADS is to avoid un-authorized people to access and copy the data files (dbfs). This is done by revoking access through file system itself. The only way to access this files is using ADS ODBC driver or an application developed with ADS drivers.____So, I think RR will not be able to access directly the dbf files, unless accessing them through ADS ODBC driver.__So I would like to know if its possible to convert RR DOS reports (RP1) directly to RR Infinity.____Can RR Infinity XBase access DBF files through the ADS ODBC driver?____Thanks again.____Regards,

Cliff_Wiernik

===> RE: RR Upgrade

Post by Cliff_Wiernik » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:18 am

I would really recommend that Liveware consider providing the ability in the Xbase++, not SQL version, the ability to connect to the ADS server. You could also consider supporting the ADT proprietary files but that is not even necessary.____In the current business environment, where concern for the loss of confidential personal customer information is in the news daily, many companies want to or may be even mandated to protect this information, like bank account numbers and SSN^s. ADS provides two methods that can address this: (1) the ability to access the files via the ADS server, allowing the user to remove normal file access to files and protect access by other software like access/excel/normal copying and (2) use the ADS ability to password protect the databases so even if someone gets their hands on the database, they cannot read the data. ____However, RR Infinity does not allow this type of access. I would expect that their is a significant body of ADS users that would appreciate this improvement. Securing private customer information is becoming more important every day.

alaggio

====> RE: RR Upgrade

Post by alaggio » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:10 pm

Cliff,____very well said!____Right now I^m working in an ADS installation in one of my customers. The reason? Security !!!____But all my reports (almost 250) will have to be re-writen, just because RR does not suport ADS.____I^m considering not to write these reports with RR.____Regards,