RRW.SRT options

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
jerryboland

RRW.SRT options

Post by jerryboland » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:24 am

I do not have an RRW.SRT in my program folders. Understand i can easily create one, but need to understand the various parameters that can be defined in this file.____Specifically i want to define the case sensitivity handling for thing like sort/grouping and conditional states. Which appears to be possible based on what i could glean from other forum entries.____Anyone knows reference location to find the possible values that can be entered into this file?____Thanks in advance for assistance.

cstrasser

=> RE: RRW.SRT options

Post by cstrasser » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:59 am

Below are the contents of this file:__=============================================__; RSW.SRT__;__; The contents of this file control R&R^s processing of character strings.__; Some character comparisons are performed by R&R and others are performed__; by the database platform. It is important for the rules specified in__; this file and those observed by the database platform be equivalent, if__; consistent results are to be obtained. If present at all, this file must__; be in the same directory as the R&R program files.__;__; After reading the instructions below carefully, you can edit this__; file by removing the semi-colon before each line you want to take__; effect. Any line that begins with a semi-colon is a comment and will__; be ignored by R&R.__;__; This file has two purposes.__;__; 1) By means of various "settings", this file specifies certain__; properties of the processing of strings in R&R. The__; settings are:__;__; COMPARISONS=APPROXIMATE__; or__; COMPARISONS=IDENTICAL__;__; COMPARECASE=DISTINCT__; or__; COMPARECASE=COMBINED__;__; SORTCASE=DISTINCT__; or__; SORTCASE=COMBINED__;__; SRTCHARS=OEM__; or__SRTCHARS=ANSI__;__; COMPARISONS=APPROXIMATE means that comparison operators processed by__; R&R in calculated field expressions and in query treat an accented__; character as equivalent to its unaccented counterpart. This is the__; default behavior of R&R.__;__; COMPARISONS=IDENTICAL means that comparison operators processed by__; R&R in calculated field expressions and query treat an accented__; character as completely distinct from its unaccented version.__;__; COMPARECASE=DISTINCT means that comparisons within R&R will treat__; uppercase characters as different from lowercase characters. All__; uppercase characters will collate before any lowercase characters.__; This is the default behavior of R&R.__;__; COMPARECASE=COMBINED means that comparisons within R&R will treat__; uppercase characters as if they were lowercase.__;__; SORTCASE=DISTINCT means that sorting within R&R will treat__; uppercase characters as different from lowercase characters. All__; uppercase characters will collate before any lowercase characters.__; This is the default behavior of R&R.__;__; SORTCASE=COMBINED means that sorting within R&R will treat__; uppercase characters as if they were lowercase.__;__; SRTCHARS=OEM means that R&R should assume that the characters in__; this SRT file are from code page 437 (or 850). This is__; the default behavior of R&R.__;__; SRTCHARS=ANSI means that R&R should assume that the characters in__; this SRT file are from a character set referred to as the__; ANSI set, which is defined within and used by Windows.__;__; SPACEDOT=<numeric string> can be used to replace R&R^s default "hard__; space" character in the event that this character conflicts with a__; "normal" character in the local alphabet. The default value is__; 183 (hex B7) which is represented as a small centered dot. The setting__; must be specified as a decimal numeric string corresponding to a value__; between 33 and 255, inclusive.__;__; 2) This file also specifies the collation rules by which R&R compares and __; sorts strings of characters.__;__; There are three forms of collation rule: "equivalence" rules,__; "expansion" rules, and "inequality" rules. Examples of each follow.__;__; a = _ =   = ___;__; is an equivalence rule that states that certain accented "a"s__; are to collate as if they were unaccented. The order in which__; characters appear in equivalence rules may be used to break ties__; between strings that are otherwise identical.__;__; ae = _ = ___;__; is an expansion rule that states that "a with umlaut" and__; "ae ligature" are to collate as if they were the two-character__; sequence "ae".__;__; z < _ < ___;__; is an inequality rule that states that the "ae ligature" collates__; immediately after "a with ring" which collates immediately after__; "z".__;__; NOTE: All collation rules must begin with an unaccented character__; or pair of characters. This means that any unaccented__; character or pair of characters always collates before__; an equivalent accented character.__;__; NOTE: No other unaccented characters may appear in a collation__; rule.__;__; NOTE: Each collation rule must be entirely lowercase or__; entirely uppercase.__;__; NOTE: Since combining of uppercase and lowercase characters__; occurs (when applicable) before the application of collation__; rules, the uppercase collation rules are sometimes__; unnecessary. They should be included in any case for the__; sake of completeness.__;__; NOTE: Any character missing from the collation rules will be__; sorted as implied by its character value in the Windows ANSI__; Character Set.__;__; NOTE: There must be at most one equivalence rule beginning__; with any given unaccented character.__;__; NOTE: There must be at most one expansion rule beginning__; with any given two-character sequence.__;__; NOTE: There must be at most one inequality rule beginning__; with any given unaccented character.__;__; NOTE: No accented character or ligature should appear in more__; than one collation rule.__;__;__; This file must contain its information in the following order, though__; any of the seven sections may be absent.__;__; 1) settings, in any order____; COMPARISONS=APPROXIMATE__; COMPARECASE=DISTINCT__; SORTCASE=DISTINCT__; SRTCHARS=OEM__; SPACEDOT=183____; 2) lowercase equivalence rules, in alphabetical order____; a = _ =   = ___; c = ___; e = _ = _ = _ = ___; i = _ = ¡ = _ = ___; n = ¤__; o = _ = ¢ = ___; u = _ = £ = _____; 3) uppercase equivalence rules, in alphabetical order____; C = ___; E = ___; N = ¥____; 4) lowercase expansion rules, in alphabetical order____; ae = _ = ___; oe = ___; ss = á__; ue = _____; 5) uppercase expansion rules, in alphabetical order____; AE = _ = ___; OE = ___; UE = _____; 6) lowercase inequality rules, in alphabetical order____; z < _____; 7) uppercase inequality rules, in alphabetical order____; Z < _________
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.

DAVE_I

==> RE: RRW.SRT options

Post by DAVE_I » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:32 pm

I used the COMPARECASE=COMBINED to treat upper and lowercase identically for sorting/grouping purposes. What I discovered was that on a Windows 7 PC and an Access database (MDB) resulted in incredible slowness.:-(

cstrasser

===> RE: RRW.SRT options

Post by cstrasser » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:35 pm

If you remove the COMPARECASE clause, is the performance acceptable?
Chris Strasser
Liveware Publishing, Inc.
Work bigger.