Ranking calculation

Meeting place for R&R customers and clients to share tips and ideas. Post your questions, messages or problems here.
Miguel_(Guest)

Ranking calculation

Post by Miguel_(Guest) » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:58 pm

Hi,____I^m using R&R 10+. I^m racking my brains trying to come up with a way to rank.____I can rank the field if I sort and group on that field and create a total that counts the records. What I^d like find out is if anyone has any ideas on creating a calculation that ranks a field with out having to sort and group off of that field. Am I making any sense?____For example, I have a list of accounts and their sales. I would like to sort and group off of a territory field and then have a ranking calculation that determines where that account ranks in sales compared to all accounts and then query off of that rank to give me only the top x amount of accounts. Any one have any ideas?____Thanks,__Miguel

kfleming

=> RE: Ranking calculation

Post by kfleming » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:24 am

So you want the the top x amount of accounts within each territory?____Kathleen__R&R Support

RoyP

=> RE: Ranking calculation

Post by RoyP » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:50 am

Kathleen,____First of all, thanks for the response. I have used R&R for about 6 or 7 years now. I absolutely love this tool! Ok, now on to our the discussion.____Not exactly, I can get the top x accounts by terriory. The first sort and group would be by territory. The next sort and group would be by total amount of sales/units. So I would now see all my accounts by territory in ascending order and by total amount of units/sales in descending order. What I am trying to do is to create a calculation/formula that would rank the account against all the doctors, not just the ones in the accounts territory.____Miguel

Miguel_(Guest)

==> RE: Ranking calculation

Post by Miguel_(Guest) » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:51 am

If I am using the Xbase version then I typically export a DBF file with the 1st results and then use that file as the master for a second report that then re-sorts etc and print out how I need it.____I.e. I export effectively a temporay file and use that in my next report to link to another database file.____I use the CMD and TXT file to run the ^extract^ report and then the ^Print^ report, this way it is easily run by another user also.____I have not yet established how to create the same exports when using the SQL version. I am new to the SQL ways.____